Customized authentication provider and RMI

Miikka Oksanen

Apr 8, 2004, 10:23:10 AM4/8/04

we're developing a three-tiered application and are facing some difficulties
with our customized authentication provider. In our architecture, we will
have an EJB server with some SessionFacades to operate to database through
DAO objects (business tier). The authentication provider in question
utilizes a BusinessDelegate to connect to the related SessionFacade and to
operate to the database. From web tier, where we still need this
authentication provider, this naturally means operating over RMI to the
business tier.

The authentication provider compiles ok and is deployed ok as well (can be
seen in WLS console), but when it is called for authentication, the
following error occurs:

<CLIP>
UserDelegate: getHome()
serviceLocator.getInstance()
jndiHomeName: ejb.UserFacade
serviceLocator.getRemoteHome: ejb.UserFacade
java.lang.ClassCastException: Cannot narrow remote object to
com.xxx.yyy.zzz.user.ejb.UserFacadeHome
at
weblogic.iiop.PortableRemoteObjectDelegateImpl.narrow(PortableRemoteObjectDe
legateImpl.java:242)
at
javax.rmi.PortableRemoteObject.narrow(PortableRemoteObject.java:134)
</CLIP>

The related remote interface class is in the same .JAR with the
authentication provider, so it should be available.

If this brings up any ideas,
I'm more than happy to hear them -> miikka.oksanen at satama.com

Thanks and best regards,
Miikka

Carmen

Apr 8, 2004, 5:11:18 PM4/8/04

Hi Miikka,

The application code does not have access to classes in the provider jars, so
this is probably why you are getting the ClassCastException. If the code must
be available to applications, you will need to add it to the classpath.
Also, verify permissions set for JNDI/EJB services.
I'll try to find out more on this.

Carmen