Error from servlet "java.io.IOException: Nonexportable ciphersuite requested" WL5.1

Pasi Lukkarinen

Jan 4, 2002, 9:24:39 AM1/4/02
Hi !
I'm trying to use one servlet on WL5.1 server to make SSL connections to
another. I keep getting following error in client side:
java.io.IOException: Nonexportable ciphersuite requested

at weblogic.security.SSL.SSLSocket.clientInit(SSLSocket.java:336)
at weblogic.security.SSL.SSLSocket.initialize(SSLSocket.java:217)
at weblogic.security.SSL.SSLSocket.<init>(SSLSocket.java:170)
at weblogic.net.http.HttpsClient.openServer(HttpsClient.java:45)
at weblogic.net.http.HttpsClient.openServer(HttpsClient.java:134)
at weblogic.net.http.HttpClient.<init>(HttpClient.java:85)
at weblogic.net.http.HttpsClient.<init>(HttpsClient.java:34)
at weblogic.net.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:119)
at
weblogic.net.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:97
)
at smsbrokertestservlet.PushServlet.doGet(PushServlet.java:107)
<------------------------
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubIm

<------------------------ line is pointing to my servlet and there is only
line where I try to connect into another service:

try{
uc.connect();// This is line number 107

I'm using exactly same kind of code as in my stand-alone client uses and it
works fine so I guess the reason is the WL5.1 and how it has been configured
??

There have been wild guesses that ciphering level is different between those
two servers ?? How can I check it out ?
I can't find the line in my weblogic properties file:

weblogic.security.SSL.ciphersuites=SSL_RSA_EXPORT_WITH_RC4_40_MD5

so what is this ciphering level in my own server ??

Do you have any ideas what's wrong ?

rgds. P.asi

Dimitri Rakitine

Jan 4, 2002, 4:32:55 PM1/4/02
You can use JSSE (http://java.sun.com/products/jsse/) instead and specify
it's handler in the URL constructor:

URL url = new URL(null, "https://...",
new com.sun.net.ssl.internal.www.protocol.https.Handler());
HttpsURLConnection connection = (HttpsURLConnection) url.openConnection();

--
Dimitri