IIOP timeout setting??

Geoff

Mar 13, 2002, 3:57:27 PM3/13/02

I have a client that calls an EJB using IIOP through a servlet. It connects fine
and I can see the bean "working" on the server side. After 60 seconds, the client
receives the following error:

java.rmi.MarshalException: CORBA COMM_FAILURE 1 Maybe; nested exception is:
org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: minor code: 1 completed: Maybe
org.omg.CORBA.COMM_FAILURE: minor code: 1 completed: Maybe
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.IIOPConnection.purge_calls(IIOPConnection.java:785)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.ReaderThread.run(IIOPConnection.java:118)

However the bean is unaffected and completes its processing later. It does get
an exception when trying to send the result back to the client. It seems that
there is an IIOP timeout setting that needs to set higher in this case and the
default is approximately 60 seconds. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-geoff.

Andy Piper

Mar 13, 2002, 6:21:23 PM3/13/02
"Geoff" <geoff.y...@level3.com> writes:

There is an undocumented property on the Server MBean:

IdleIIOPConnectionTimeout

which you can configure in seconds to fix this. Unfortunately the JDK
Orb is particularly bad at connection management which is why we had
to do this. With 1.4 we can do somewhat better since we can use
CloseConnection to tell the client to gracefully shutdown. We have
revamped some of this also in WLS 7.0 so that the default timeout is
longer for pending requests (as opposed to idle connections).

andy

Geoff Yaworski

Mar 13, 2002, 6:24:44 PM3/13/02

andy,

you mean as another attribute somewhere in config.xml? please specify how to
go about configuring this.

-geoff.

Geoff Yaworski