IOException: Prohibited package name: java.lang

Jonas Mohlin

Dec 15, 2004, 9:34:39 AM12/15/04
Hi!

I have problems when trying to call a method that throws an exception over RMI-iiop. Instead of the exceptions that should be thrown I get an IOException and a stackTrace is printed out in the console(even if the exception is caught) The server is WL8.1 SP3 with java 1.4.2 and the client runs under java 1.3.1_09-b03.

It works when the client runs under java 1.4.2. I also wrote a small testapplication outside of WL and it works fine too(using RMI-iiop, tnameserv and suns ORB, server under java 1.4.2 and client under java 1.3.1_09-b03).

But when trying to call the method in WL i get the exception below instead of the one that is thrown.

java.io.IOException: Prohibited package name: java.lang
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.io.IIOPInputStream.throwExceptionType(Native Method)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.io.IIOPInputStream.simpleReadObject(IIOPInputStream.java:272)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.io.ValueHandlerImpl.readValueInternal(ValueHandlerImpl.java:245) at com.sun.corba.se.internal.io.ValueHandlerImpl.readValue(ValueHandlerImpl.java:207)
at com.sun.corba.se.internal.iiop.CDRInputStream.read_value(CDRInputStream.java:1058)

I have also tried to use suns ORB in WL but still get the same problem. Everything works fine except when an exception is thrown by the remote method.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Andy Piper

Dec 15, 2004, 12:17:08 PM12/15/04
Jonas Mohlin <noad...@noaddress.given> writes:

Well the problem is because of the change in format java.lang.Throwable in
J2SE 1.4. There are known bugs in the Sun 1.3.1 ORBs that prevent this
working with a vanilla 1.3.1 client - and we can only support a WLS IIOP
client running with 1.3.1 in this scenario (e.g. WLS 7.0).

andy

Jonas Mohlin

Dec 16, 2004, 8:00:31 AM12/16/04
Hi, thank you for the answer.

But I still think it can be a WL-problem. I can get an application outside of WL to work between java 1.4.2 and java 1.3.1. Even when sending a new exception created and compiled under 1.4.2 and sent to the 1.3.1-JVM, it is recieved correctly by the 1.3.1-JVM and thrown.

I also tried to change WL to use SUNs ORB which I use in my test but still get the same problem so it feels like the problem is with WL's JNDI..

/Jonas

Andy Piper

Dec 16, 2004, 10:18:00 AM12/16/04
Jonas Mohlin <noad...@noaddress.given> writes:

> Hi, thank you for the answer.
>
> But I still think it can be a WL-problem. I can get an application outside of WL to work between java 1.4.2 and java 1.3.1. Even when sending a new exception created and compiled under 1.4.2 and sent to the 1.3.1-JVM, it is recieved correctly by the 1.3.1-JVM and thrown.
>
> I also tried to change WL to use SUNs ORB which I use in my test but still get the same problem so it feels like the problem is with WL's JNDI..

You need to provide more details, and its probably best if you do that
through a support call. Note that Sun put hacks in their own ORBs to
support interoperability differences, so its quite possible that Sun
<-> Sun is ok but we cannot track them bug for bug.

andy