IIOP outbound call on wls 8.1 : Orbix

1 view

Rob

Feb 6, 2004, 6:25:41 AM2/6/04

Hello,
I read on the newsgroup on a recent post that it's suggested to use the wls Orb
for outbound Corba call from wls 8.1 sp2 (ear).
Why ?
I think because there is a problem now, with Orbix client lib, on wls 8.1 (I think
with wls 7.0 too, but I haven't tried).

On 6.1 there wasn't this problem.

You could use the Orbix client library with no problems for outbound calls.

Now it happens that weblogic.jar contains the org.omg.TimeBase.* package.
The org.omg.TimeBase.UtcT in particular is used by the Orbix client lib, for time
services related questions I suppose.

But here it is what happens at init time :

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.omg.TimeBase.UtcT.<init>(JISS)V
at
com.iona.common.time.UTCUtility.<clinit>(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.common.timeout.TimeOutScheduler.run(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.util.WorkQueueExecutor$RunnableWrapper.execute(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.art.workqueue.AutomaticWorkQueueThreadPool$WorkQueueThread.run(Unknown
Source)
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
at
com.iona.corba.art.binding.BindingEstablishmentPolicyFactoryImpl.default_policy(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.art.binding.BindingManagerImpl.process_default_policies(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.art.binding.BindingManagerImpl.complete_initialisation(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.art.artimpl.ORBDelegate.set_parameters(Unknown
Source)
at
com.iona.corba.art.artimpl.ORBImpl.set_parameters(Unknown
Source)
at org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init(ORB.java:337)
at
test.TestClient.initOrb(TestClient.java:274)
at
test.TestClient.invokeServer(TestClient.java:166)
at
test.TestCorbaBean.go(TestCorbaBean.java:30)
at
test.TestCorba_bbmskw_EOImpl.go(TestCorba_bbmskw_EOImpl.java:45)
at
test.TestCorba_bbmskw_EOImpl_WLSkel.invoke(Unknown
Source)
at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:477)
at
weblogic.rmi.cluster.ReplicaAwareServerRef.invoke(ReplicaAwareServerRef.java:108)
at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef$1.run(BasicServerRef.java:420)
at
weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:353)
at
weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:144)
at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.java:415)
at
weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java:30)
at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
at
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)

It looks like the com.iona.common.time.UTCUtility class needs a different implementation
of the org.omg.TimeBase.UtcT from the one supplied in WLS (an implementation with
a different parameter type in the constructor).

But in wls 6.1 everything is ok (it's not in the system classpath).

If I must schedule a migration to wls 8.1, do I have to change orb ?
I uses policies for timing out remote invocations, does Bea Orb supplies this
policies too ?
Or do I have to buy OrbixConnect ?

I think this is a "strong" restriction for J2EE applications running on wls.

Could anyone confirm it to me pls ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Rob

Andy Piper

Feb 6, 2004, 12:07:39 PM2/6/04
"Rob" <rm...@nospammepls.com> writes:

> I read on the newsgroup on a recent post that it's suggested to use the wls Orb
> for outbound Corba call from wls 8.1 sp2 (ear).
> Why ?

Because using the Orbix client orb generally involves setting system
properties that intefere with the operation of other subsystems, most
noteably RMI-IIOP and the thin-client. Also if you want transaction
interop between WLS and Orbix you _must_ use the WLS ORB. The
scenarios where you cannot use the WLS ORB are those were you need
some feature such as interceptors.

> I think because there is a problem now, with Orbix client lib, on wls 8.1 (I think
> with wls 7.0 too, but I haven't tried).
>
> On 6.1 there wasn't this problem.

We didn't provide an ORB on 6.1. The price of progress :)

> It looks like the com.iona.common.time.UTCUtility class needs a different implementation
> of the org.omg.TimeBase.UtcT from the one supplied in WLS (an implementation with
> a different parameter type in the constructor).

Right, we have to provide implementations of these functions for our
own ORB. The version is very dependent on the version of CORBA we
support. This is another reason why you want to interop at the wire
level rather than the API level.

> If I must schedule a migration to wls 8.1, do I have to change orb ?
> I uses policies for timing out remote invocations, does Bea Orb supplies this
> policies too ?

If you use these policies then you will probably need to use the Orbix
client orb. You will need to put the client ORB at the front of your
system classpath and set the various ORB properties as doc'ed in
http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/rmi_iiop/rmiiiop2.html#1068367. You
shouldn't need to buy anything.

andy