JSF deploy exception

Keith Hyland

Jun 21, 2004, 9:40:13 AM6/21/04

I'm trying to get a JSF web app I have working on tomcat ported to weblogic 8.1
sp2.

When I deploy the webapp I get the following exception.

I get the same exception when I try to deploy the JSF sample cardemo.war. (I've
tried both JSF1.0 and JSF 1.1, both result in the same error).

Any ideas? Am I missing some steps. Have other people got JSF progs working?

Cheers,
Keith

<21-Jun-2004 14:31:50 o'clock IST> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101216> <Servlet: "Faces
Servlet" failed to preload on startup in Web application: "jsf-cardemo".
javax.servlet.ServletException
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createServlet(ServletStubIm
pl.java:884)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.createInstances(ServletStub
Impl.java:848)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.prepareServlet(ServletStubI
mpl.java:787)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlet(WebAppS
ervletContext.java:3252)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadServlets(WebApp
ServletContext.java:3197)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.preloadResources(WebAp
pServletContext.java:3174)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.setStarted(WebAppServl
etContext.java:5647)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppModule.start(WebAppModule.java:869)
at weblogic.j2ee.J2EEApplicationContainer.start(J2EEApplicationContainer
.java:2022)
at weblogic.j2ee.J2EEApplicationContainer.activate(J2EEApplicationContai
ner.java:2063)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$ComponentActivateTask.
activateContainer(SlaveDeployer.java:2592)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$ActivateTask.doCommit(
SlaveDeployer.java:2515)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$Task.commit(SlaveDeplo
yer.java:2317)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$Task.checkAutoCommit(S
laveDeployer.java:2399)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$Task.prepare(SlaveDepl
oyer.java:2311)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer$ActivateTask.prepare(S
laveDeployer.java:2479)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer.processPrepareTask(Sla
veDeployer.java:798)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer.prepareDelta(SlaveDepl
oyer.java:507)
at weblogic.management.deploy.slave.SlaveDeployer.prepareUpdate(SlaveDep
loyer.java:465)
at weblogic.drs.internal.SlaveCallbackHandler$1.execute(SlaveCallbackHan
dler.java:25)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:197)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:170)

Clint

Jul 1, 2004, 4:53:50 PM7/1/04

Keith,

Looks like SP3 will correct the problem (when and if it's released). Look
on the SP3 release notes page.

CR173782
Some examples in the final version of the JavaServer Faces v1.0 Reference Implementation
fails to preload on startup with the following ServletException:

<Mar 16, 2004 10:31:09 AM MST> <Error> <HTTP> <BEA-101216> <Servlet: "Faces Servlet"
failed to preload on startup in Web application: "jsf-guessNumber". javax.servlet.ServletException

The problem was fixed by adding logic during the Web application startup for registering
servlet listeners, which could be defined in .tld files in the lib folder of the
application.

I also have been attempting to get a Faces servlet running on SP2 and have run
into the same problem. I am dead in the water until SP3 is fixed.

Cheers,
Clint

carrin tunney

Sep 22, 2004, 10:22:05 AM9/22/04
I've tried to deploy a JSF app on WLS 8.1sp2 using both the Sun JSF Reference Implementation and the MyFaces implementation. Neither of them work. I keep getting the "failed to load" error when deploying.

I've gotten a patch from BEA for WLS8.1 sp2 that is supposed to fix the issue, but it did not.

Has anyone successfully deployed a JSF app on either WLS8.1sp 2 or 8.1 sp3?

I'd like to stay with 8.1sp2 because of the 1.4.2 JDK that is with 8.1sp3 that causes issues with some other apps that we use.

Jiug grant

Oct 8, 2004, 5:49:51 PM10/8/04

I have the same problem.

I'm using WebLogic Platform 8.1 with SP 3, and when I deploy my WebApp using JSF, i get the next problem:

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Cannot find FacesContext
at javax.faces.webapp.UIComponentTag.doStartTag(UIComponentTag.java:399)
at com.sun.faces.taglib.jsf_core.ViewTag.doStartTag(ViewTag.java:105)
at jsp_servlet.__index._jspService(__index.java:142)
at weblogic.servlet.jsp.JspBase.service(JspBase.java:33)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl$ServletInvocationAction.run(ServletStubImpl.java:996)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:419)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:463)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:315)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext$ServletInvocationAction.run(WebAppServletContext.java:6452)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.AuthenticatedSubject.doAs(AuthenticatedSubject.java:321)
at weblogic.security.service.SecurityManager.runAs(SecurityManager.java:118)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:3661)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2630)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:219)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:178)

Jiug grant

Oct 8, 2004, 6:03:48 PM10/8/04
I found an url that explain the libraries that you need in order to deploy a webapp using jsf.

http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/GUI/JavaServerFaces/