Setup con pool with Oracle 9i XA thin driver in WebLogic 6.1 on Win2k

Jordan

Jun 16, 2002, 8:52:53 PM6/16/02

Hi experts

Could anyone pls show me how to setup a con pool with Oracle 9i XA thin driver so
that i can use WL's transaction manager.

I have setup and been using the Oracle driver from the classes12.jar in %OraHome%
(my local ora client dir). I think this driver is not XA compliant.

I have read the doc and i think it's only for Ora 8i. I tried to follow the lead
to setup one for Ora9i but my Ora9i client dir did not have some dll corresponding
to that required for a Ora8i setup. How do i get these extra dlls required?

Thanks in advance

Sree Bodapati

Jun 17, 2002, 10:18:19 AM6/17/02

This is how:

<JDBCConnectionPool
Name="oraXAPool"
Targets="myserver"
DriverName="oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource"
InitialCapacity="10"
MaxCapacity="10"
CapacityIncrement="1"

Properties="user=scott;password=tiger;driverType=thin;uRL=jdbc:oracle:thin:@
myoracleserver:1521:orcl"
/>

hth
/
sree

"Jordan" <jenni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jordan

Jun 20, 2002, 1:24:29 AM6/20/02

Thanks 4 the reply on the configuration.

However could you pls show me how to setup all required dll, path, classpath, startup
script changes or further, which files are needed and where to copy them to.

I aleady have downloaded the latest thin and oci driver from Oracle which has a
classes12.zip, heteroxa9.dll, heteroxa9_g.dll, ocijdbc9.dll and ocijdbc9_g.dll.

Oracle client is already on my workstation.

Now how should I glue all these?

Thanks in advance.
Jordan

Sree Bodapati

Jun 20, 2002, 8:40:42 AM6/20/02
To use the thin driver all you will need is the classes12.zip file in the
beginning of the CLASSPATH before you boot the server.

/
sree

"Jordan" <jenni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Jordan

Jun 22, 2002, 1:15:15 AM6/22/02

Many thanks for the timely reply.

However I got an error when creating the Oracle 9i XA thin connection pool. See the
the XA pool server error stack trace well below. If I restart the server, there would
be no errors at startup.

I configured the XA pool exactly as you showed me, but I don't understand why when
I restart the server, there were more properties automatically added to the config
on top of my entries.(See the XA settings)

My questions in regards to the XA pool are:
1. Is the Oracle9i jdbc driver in classes12.zip XA compliant?
2. If it is XA complianct can I use it with WL 6.1's transaction manager (e.g UserTransaction?)

Another thing, if I config a non-XA pool using oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver, there
would NOT be any errors. But I also note that WL automatically added a property "dll=ocijdbc9"
after i restart the server. If the thin driver is a type 4, why would it need that
dll?

My classpath setting in the startup script is:
CLASSPATH=.;.\ext\OraJdbc901jdk13x_nt\classes12.zip;
.\lib\weblogic_sp.jar;.\lib\weblogic.jar

The config.xml with WL's added entries for the XA pool is:
<JDBCConnectionPool
DriverName="oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource"
InitialCapacity="10" MaxCapacity="15"
Name="Test_3rdOracleXA_devdb01"
Properties="user=test;password=test;
url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@myOracSvr:1521:devdb01;
driverType=thin;dataSourceName=Test_3rdOracleXA_devdb01"
Targets="myserver"
URL="jdbc:oracle:thin:@myOracSvr:1521:devdb01"/>

The XA error stack trace is:
weblogic.management.DistributedOperationUpdateException: Error creating connection
pool - with nested exception:
[weblogic.management.DeploymentException: Error creating connection pool - with nested
exception:
[weblogic.common.ResourceException: weblogic.common.ResourceException: java.sql.SQLException:
Invalid Oracle URL specified: OracleDataSource.makeURL
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:180)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:222)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.check_error(DBError.java:916)
at oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource.makeURL(OracleDataSource.java:428)
at oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleDataSource.getURL(OracleDataSource.java:278)
at oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource.getXAConnection(OracleXADataSource.java:103)
at oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource.getXAConnection(OracleXADataSource.java:84)
at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.XAConnectionEnvFactory.makeConnection(XAConnectionEnvFactory.java:200)

Thanks in advance.
Jordan.

Sree Bodapati

Jun 24, 2002, 9:27:13 AM6/24/02
> 1. Is the Oracle9i jdbc driver in classes12.zip XA compliant?
yes

> 2. If it is XA complianct can I use it with WL 6.1's transaction manager
(e.g UserTransaction?)

yes. and remember this driver has not been certified for use until
WLS6.1SP03 roles out. But you should not have any problems using it.

Also did the URL also get added automatically or did you add it? Remove it,
its not needed when using XA driver. you only have to mention that in the
properties. Adding of "dll=ocijdbc9" automatically is normal and it will not
have any effect on your pool unless you intend to use the oracle type 2
driver so you can safely ignore that.

So try,

<JDBCConnectionPool
DriverName="oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource"
InitialCapacity="10" MaxCapacity="15" CapacityIncrement="1"
Name="Test_3rdOracleXA_devdb01"

Properties="user=test;password=test;url=jdbc:oracle:thin:@myOracSvr:1521:dev
db01;driverType=thin"

Targets="myserver"
/>

Is your Database setup for XA?

/
sree

"Jordan" <jenni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Sree Bodapati

Jun 24, 2002, 9:35:57 AM6/24/02
Hi Jordan,
Also please try , uRL (see case) instead of url and try if that helps. There
was this weird bug that got fixed but I am not sure if it made into the
version of WLS that you may be having.

sree

"Jordan" <jenni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource.getXAConnection(OracleXADataSource.
java:103)
> at
oracle.jdbc.xa.client.OracleXADataSource.getXAConnection(OracleXADataSource.
java:84)
> at
weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.XAConnectionEnvFactory.makeConnection(XAConnec

Jordan

Jun 25, 2002, 2:27:24 AM6/25/02

Sree

I do appreciate your timely response.

The uRL stuff worked, however I still need some answer for the questions asked in
previous email:

My questions in regards to the XA pool are:
1. Is the Oracle9i jdbc driver in classes12.zip XA compliant?
2. If it is XA complianct can I use it with WL 6.1's transaction manager (e.g UserTransaction?)

I also note that WL automatically added a property "dll=ocijdbc9"
after i restart the server. If the thin driver is a type 4, why does it need that
dll?

Thanks for your help.

Sree Bodapati

Jun 25, 2002, 9:18:12 AM6/25/02
Please see my responses inline.

> Sree
>
> I do appreciate your timely response.

your are welcome.

> The uRL stuff worked, however I still need some answer for the questions
asked in
> previous email:
>
> My questions in regards to the XA pool are:
> 1. Is the Oracle9i jdbc driver in classes12.zip XA compliant?

Yes. This a question for Oracle, but yes it is XA compliant :)

> 2. If it is XA complianct can I use it with WL 6.1's transaction manager
(e.g UserTransaction?)

Yes you can.

> I also note that WL automatically added a property "dll=ocijdbc9"
> after i restart the server. If the thin driver is a type 4, why does it
need that
> dll?

Its needed for the oci driver, both oci driver and thin driver use the same
java jdbc implementation of the driver. You can ignore this addition its
only a conveinience addition and will not affect anything that the thin
driver does.

hth
/
sree

Jordan

Jul 17, 2002, 11:33:14 AM7/17/02

Hi

Thanks again for the reply!

You asked:

>Is your Database setup for XA?

Why so? Is there anything more I have to do with the Ora DB server beyond WL?

Thanks in advance.

Sree Bodapati

Jul 17, 2002, 12:30:35 PM7/17/02
Please see my response inline....

> Hi
>
> Thanks again for the reply!

you are welcome

> You asked:
> >Is your Database setup for XA?
>
> Why so? Is there anything more I have to do with the Ora DB server beyond
WL?

Yes, Oracle needs to be setup for XA before you can use the Oracle driver
XA.

To setup oracle for XA you need to make sure this script is run on the
server, initjvm.sql (It should be in your oracle installation rdbms scripts)
and then grant select permission on dba_pending_transactions.

/
sree