On WLS 8.1 invoking PreparedStatement.setString() throws SQLException (invalid column type)

Parag

Oct 3, 2003, 10:35:18 AM10/3/03

I am facing a problem with WLS 8.1. I have an oracle connection pool and a datasource
setup. I have a remote client which gets a connection using the datasource and
creates a PreparedStatement out of it.

After getting an instance of PreparedStatement when I invoke setString(1, "value")
I get an exception (part of stack trace) which is as follows

[java] java.sql.SQLException: Invalid column type
[java] at weblogic.rjvm.BasicOutboundRequest.sendReceive(BasicOutboundRequest.java:108)
[java] at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicRemoteRef.invoke(BasicRemoteRef.java:125)
[java] at weblogic.jdbc.rmi.internal.PreparedStatementImpl_weblogic_jdbc_wrapper_PreparedStatement_oracle_jdbc_driver_OraclePrepare
dStatement_810_WLStub.setString(Unknown Source)
[java] at weblogic.jdbc.rmi.internal.PreparedStatementStub_weblogic_jdbc_rmi_internal_PreparedStatementImpl_weblogic_jdbc_wrapper_P
[java] at weblogic.jdbc.rmi.SerialPreparedStatement_weblogic_jdbc_rmi_internal_PreparedStatementStub_weblogic_jdbc_rmi_internal_Pre
paredStatementImpl_weblogic_jdbc_wrapper_PreparedStatement_oracle_jdbc_driver_OraclePreparedStatement_810_WLStub.setString(Unknown
Source)

I did not experience the same with WLS 6.1, JDK1.3, Oracle 8i on which the same
code is tested ok.

the problem is seen with WLS 8.1, JDK1.4 (shipped with WLS), Oracle8i.

I would like to know if anybody has experienced it before and if so what is the
remedy to this problem.

Thanks,

Parag

Joseph Weinstein

Oct 3, 2003, 12:46:50 PM10/3/03
to Parag
Hi. WHoes oracle driver are you suing, and where is this jdbc code running?
It looks like it's in an external client. COuld you turn on jdbc logging at the server,
and show us the actual serverside stacktrace of the original SQLException?
ALso, maybe show us the JDBC code.
Thanks,
Joe

Parag

Oct 3, 2003, 4:45:55 PM10/3/03

I could make the code work with Weblogic JDriver, but still don't
understand why it did not work with Oracle driver.

The was using Oracle driver and the client is a remote java application which
gets the datasource and then connection.

Turning on jdbc logging. if so where could I do that ?

The stack trace I had given extends from the weblogic implementation
class into the oracle driver. Before that their exists the application
class invocations.

Parag

Joseph Weinstein

Oct 3, 2003, 5:49:16 PM10/3/03
to Parag
Parag wrote:

> I could make the code work with Weblogic JDriver, but still don't
> understand why it did not work with Oracle driver.

Interesting, so it's likely an Oracle driver problem...

> The was using Oracle driver and the client is a remote java application which
> gets the datasource and then connection.
> Turning on jdbc logging. if so where could I do that ?

From the console of WLS. I assume the DataSource accesses a WLS connection pool?

> The stack trace I had given extends from the weblogic implementation
> class into the oracle driver. Before that their exists the application
> class invocations.

I would think so. I would like to see it, and the code.