Updating Oracle Thin Driver for Oracle 9i

Samuel Kounev

Jan 17, 2002, 6:52:37 AM1/17/02
Hello everyone!

Has anybody tried to apply BEA's instructions for Updating Oracle's 8i Thin Driver included in
WLS6.1 with the 9i thin driver from OTN as explained in:
http://edocs.bea.com/wls/docs61/jdbc/thirdparty.html.

I followed the instructions and removed the old oracle classes from weblogic.jar, then repackaged it
and added the 9i driver to my classpath (before weblogic.jar).

Trying to startup WebLogic now I get this error:

The WebLogic Server did not start up properly.
Exception raised:
weblogic.common.internal.VersioningError: No WebLogic packages defined in CLASSPATH
at weblogic.common.internal.VersionInfo.<init>(VersionInfo.java:39)
at weblogic.version.<clinit>(version.java:18)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.checkAccess(T3Srvr.java:280)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.initialize(T3Srvr.java:343)
at weblogic.t3.srvr.T3Srvr.run(T3Srvr.java:202)
at weblogic.Server.main(Server.java:35)
Reason: Fatal initialization exception

Any help would be highly appreciated,

Samuel Kounev
TU-Darmstadt
Germany

Sree Bodapati

Jan 17, 2002, 9:31:44 AM1/17/02
Hi Samuel,

I suggest you try to use the classes12.zip file for 9i in the begining of
the CLASSPATH without any other modifications to the weblogic.jar file. see
if that alone can solve the problem.

if that fails,
when you repackage weblogic.jar after removing the old thin driver please
use the following command line,

"jar -cvfm WLHOME/lib/weblogic.jar META-INF/Manifest.mf . "(Check the proper
case for manifest.mf file name, it depends on the OS)

let me know if you still have these problems.
hth

/

sree

"Samuel Kounev" <sko...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in message

Samuel Kounev

Jan 17, 2002, 11:17:11 AM1/17/02
Hi Sree,

Thanks a lot for your help!

Placing classes12.zip in the beginning of the CLASSPATH without modifying weblogic.jar was working
for me initially, but since I was getting really bad performance when having concurrent transactions
using the pool, I thought the old driver in weblogic.jar could be the problem. However, I now came
to the idea that it is more likely that the reason is that I am using a TxDataSource and need a XA
compliant driver and the 9i Thin Driver most-likely doesn't support XA (at least there is on info
about it in the release notes).

I now downloaded the new version of WebLogic (with SP2) and will try to use the OCI driver instead.
I will let you know whether this solves the problem.

Thanks once again for your support,

Samuel