Dynamic Connection Pool Creation Failing in a cluster

Michael Dolbear

Mar 29, 2002, 11:39:40 AM3/29/02

I am trying to create a connection pool in a clustered environment. This connection
pool is created lazily behind a Stateless Session Bean. We first attempt to determine
whether, the connection pool exists using JdbcServices.poolExists(someName), and
create it if it does not exist. A failure occurs on creation because it looks
like the connection pool might have been created by a bean on a different weblogic
VM instance. Is there any way to dynamically create a connection pool and make
it visible to the whole cluster? Thanks in advance for any help. Michael Dolbear

Mar 28, 2002 5:35:08 PM MST> <Info> <JDBC> <Checking existence of connection pool
Content
ConnectionPool requested by user guest>
<Mar 28, 2002 5:35:08 PM MST> <Info> <JDBC> <Creating connection pool ContentConnectionPoo
l requested by user guest>
weblogic.common.ResourceException: weblogic.management.MBeanCreationException:

Start server side stack trace:
javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=JD
BCConnectionPool
at com.sun.management.jmx.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:134)
at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.internal_addObject(MBeanServerImpl.java:
2352)
at com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:874)
at weblogic.management.internal.RemoteMBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(RemoteMBeanSer
verImpl.java:181)
at weblogic.management.internal.Helper.createMBean(Helper.java:376)
at weblogic.management.internal.Helper.createAdminMBean(Helper.java:291)
at weblogic.management.internal.RemoteMBeanServerImpl.createAdminMBean(RemoteMBean
ServerImpl.java:278)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanHomeImpl.createAdminMBean(MBeanHomeImpl.java:
635)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanHomeImpl.createAdminMBean(MBeanHomeImpl.java:
621)
at weblogic.management.internal.AdminMBeanHomeImpl.createAdminMBean(AdminMBeanHome
Impl.java:397)
at weblogic.management.internal.AdminMBeanHomeImpl_WLSkel.invoke(Unknown
Source)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:298)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.java:267)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java:22)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
--------------- nested within: ------------------
weblogic.management.MBeanCreationException: - with nested exception:
[javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException: domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=J
DBCConnectionPool]
at weblogic.management.internal.Helper.createMBean(Helper.java:383)
[...]
End server side stack trace
- with nested exception:
[...]

]
at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPool.dynaStartup(ConnectionPool.java:47
2)
at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPool.createPool(ConnectionPool.java:727
)
at weblogic.jdbc.common.internal.ConnectionPool.createPool(ConnectionPool.java:709
)
at com.thc.ids.inf.framework.opf.rdbms.datastore.ConnectionPoolCreator.createConne
ctionPool(ConnectionPoolCreator.java:82)
at com.thc.ids.inf.framework.opf.datastore.DataStoreRepository.createConnectionPoo
lIfNonExistent(DataStoreRepository.java:211)
at com.thc.ids.inf.util.persistence.content.ConnectionPoolInitializer.createConnec
tionPoolIfNeeded(ConnectionPoolInitializer.java:48)
at com.thc.ids.inf.services.business.crs.spi.oracle.OracleRetrievalProvider.create
ConnectionPoolIfNeeded(Unknown Source)
at com.thc.ids.inf.services.business.crs.spi.oracle.OracleRetrievalProvider.getIma
ge(Unknown Source)
at com.thc.ids.inf.services.business.crs.ContentRetrievalService.getImage(Unknown
Source)
at com.thc.ids.inf.util.reflection.MethodDescription.invokeMethod(MethodDescriptio
n.java:181)
at com.thc.ids.inf.util.reflection.MethodInvocation.invoke(MethodInvocation.java:7
9)
at com.thc.ids.inf.framework.service.J2EE.ejb.ServiceBean.invoke(ServiceBean.java:
186)
at com.thc.ids.inf.framework.service.J2EE.ejb.ServiceBean_bjedmi_EOImpl.invoke(Ser
viceBean_bjedmi_EOImpl.java:37)
at com.thc.ids.inf.framework.service.J2EE.ejb.ServiceBean_bjedmi_EOImpl_WLSkel.inv
oke(Unknown Source)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:298)
at weblogic.rmi.cluster.ReplicaAwareServerRef.invoke(ReplicaAwareServerRef.java:93
)
[...]

Slava Imeshev

Mar 30, 2002, 2:06:22 AM3/30/02
Hi Michael,

Could you show us the code? Without looking at the code
I can only say that JdbcServices.poolExists(someName)
returns true only in case the pool is up and running.

If the connection pool MBean was created but not assigned
a target, subsequent tries to create it would fail.

Regards,

Slava Imeshev

"Michael Dolbear" <michael...@mdx.com> wrote in message

> at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
> at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:120)
> End server side stack trace
> - with nested exception:
> [javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=J
> DBCConnectionPool
>
> Start server side stack trace:
> javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=JD
> BCConnectionPool
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:134
)
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.internal_addObject(MBeanServerImpl.ja
va:
> 2352)
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:87
4)
> at
weblogic.management.internal.RemoteMBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(RemoteMBean
Ser

> at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
> at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.run(ExecuteThread.java:120)
> End server side stack trace
> - with nested exception:
> [javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=J
> DBCConnectionPool
>
> Start server side stack trace:
> javax.management.InstanceAlreadyExistsException:
domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=JD
> BCConnectionPool
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:134
)
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.internal_addObject(MBeanServerImpl.ja
va:
> 2352)
> at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:87
4)
> at
weblogic.management.internal.RemoteMBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(RemoteMBean
Ser

Michael Dolear

Apr 1, 2002, 12:40:26 PM4/1/02

Hi Slava,
Here is what I am doing. The code is spread across a couple of classes. I am using
what was described in BEA's doc on dynamic connection pool creation. I didn't
see anything about MBean apis required:

/**
* Dynamically create a connection pool using aConnectionPoolProperties. Please
see ConnectionPoolCreator
* for the required properties that must be sent in.
* @param aConnectionPoolProperties
*/
public synchronized void createConnectionPoolIfNonExistent(Properties aConnectionPoolProperties)
throws PersistenceFrameworkInitializationException
{

ConnectionPoolCreator tempPoolCreator;
Pool tempPool;

tempPoolCreator = new ConnectionPoolCreator();
tempPool = tempPoolCreator.getConnectionPool(aConnectionPoolProperties);
if (tempPool == null)
tempPoolCreator.createConnectionPool(aConnectionPoolProperties);

}

/**
* Create Connection pool given the properties that I have been configured
with
* @return Pool
*/
public Pool createConnectionPool(Properties aConnectionProperties)
throws PersistenceFrameworkInitializationException
{

JdbcServices tempServices;

try
{
tempServices = this.lookupJdbcServices();
tempServices.createPool(aConnectionProperties);
return tempServices.getPool(aConnectionProperties.getProperty(CONNECTION_POOL_NAME));
}
catch (Exception e)
{
PersistenceFrameworkUtils.logException(e);
throw new PersistenceFrameworkInitializationException(e.getMessage());
}

}

/**
* Answer a connectionPool or null.
* @return Pool
*/
public Pool getConnectionPool(Properties aConnectionProperties)
throws PersistenceFrameworkInitializationException
{
JdbcServices tempServices;

try
{
tempServices = this.lookupJdbcServices();
if (tempServices.poolExists(
aConnectionProperties.getProperty(CONNECTION_POOL_NAME)))
{
return tempServices.getPool(
aConnectionProperties.getProperty(CONNECTION_POOL_NAME));
}
else
return null;
}
catch (Exception e)
{
PersistenceFrameworkUtils.logException(e);
throw
new PersistenceFrameworkInitializationException(e.getMessage());

Mark Mortensen

Apr 1, 2002, 3:31:14 PM4/1/02

Slava,

I am working with Mike on this issue and wanted to add some more clarifications.
We have a two server cluster where one of the EJB's on one of the Managed servers
creates the connection pool. The problem comes in when a request comes to the
second server in the cluster. The connection pool is created by the first server
but it is only assigned to the first server in the targets section on the console.
It isn't assigned to the cluster. Is there a way to programmatically assign the
pool to the cluster instead of just the server that created the pool?

-Mark

Slava Imeshev

Apr 1, 2002, 3:45:11 PM4/1/02
The only way to do it is using MBeans. You could search this newsgroup
for "JDBCConnectionPoolMBean" to get an idea of how it could be done.

Slava

P.S. http://search.bea.com/weblogic/gonews

"Mark Mortensen" <mark.mo...@mdx.com> wrote in message

>>weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java
:2
> >>2)
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
> >>domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=J

> >>domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=JD
>
>>com.sun.management.jmx.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:1
34
> >>)
>
>>com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.internal_addObject(MBeanServerImpl.
ja

>>weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java
:2
> >>2)
weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)
> >>domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=J

> >>domain:Name=ContentConnectionPool,Type=JD
>
>>com.sun.management.jmx.RepositorySupport.addMBean(RepositorySupport.java:1
34
> >>)
>
>>com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.internal_addObject(MBeanServerImpl.
ja

Joseph Weinstein

Apr 1, 2002, 3:49:02 PM4/1/02
to Mark Mortensen

Mark Mortensen wrote:

> Slava,
>
> I am working with Mike on this issue and wanted to add some more clarifications.
> We have a two server cluster where one of the EJB's on one of the Managed servers
> creates the connection pool. The problem comes in when a request comes to the
> second server in the cluster. The connection pool is created by the first server
> but it is only assigned to the first server in the targets section on the console.
> It isn't assigned to the cluster. Is there a way to programmatically assign the
> pool to the cluster instead of just the server that created the pool?
>
> -Mark

Hi all. Pools per se, are cluster-ignorant, so a cluster should have an identically-named
pool established for every member of the cluster that may handle requests for the pool.
It would be highly inefficient for one cluster member to proxy it's JDBC work over the
wire to another cluster member where the pool actually resides.
Joe