java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Broken pipe

Daniel Han

Jun 11, 2001, 12:25:57 PM6/11/01

I am running WLS 6.0 SP1 and Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris 2.7. I am using a
pooled data source and oracle's type 4 thin driver. I am running into a
broken pipe exception when the server has been running for an extended
period of time. Restarting the server relieves the problem, but it
eventually reoccurs.

Here's the stack trace:
java.sql.SQLException: Io exception: Broken pipe
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:114)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:156)
at oracle.jdbc.dbaccess.DBError.throwSqlException(DBError.java:269)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.<init>(OracleStatement.java:292)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.<init>(OracleStatement.java:307)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.<init>(OraclePreparedStatement.ja
va:191)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OraclePreparedStatement.<init>(OraclePreparedStatement.ja
va:174)
at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleConnection.prepareStatement(OracleConnection.java:3
39)
at
weblogic.jdbc.pool.Connection.prepareStatement(Connection.java:61)
at
weblogic.jdbc.rmi.internal.ConnectionImpl.prepareStatement(ConnectionImpl.ja
va:80)
at
weblogic.jdbc.rmi.SerialConnection.prepareStatement(SerialConnection.java:58
)
at com.raremedium.jdbc.DBManager.executeQuery(DBManager.java:221)

I'm having trouble reproducing the error, and it doesn't seem to be isolated
to one type of operation on the connection. In this example, it's caused by
a call to conn.prepareStatement. Elsewhere it'll originate w/calls to
conn.setAutoCommit(false) or conn.rollback();

Is this possibly a problem being caused by the thin driver? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

danny