Error marking transaction for rollback

Rajasekhar

Jan 15, 2003, 1:30:18 PM1/15/03

I have an entity bean that calls a stateful session bean. The SSB
implements the SessionSynchronization interface.
Occasionally, when the client generates an error, weblogic
crashes with the error "Error marking transaction for rollback"
Then my weblogic server simply fails to respond to any more
client requests.
Any ideas?
Thanks.

Rob Woollen

Jan 15, 2003, 7:51:47 PM1/15/03

Rajasekhar wrote:
> Hi,
> I have an entity bean that calls a stateful session bean. The SSB
> implements the SessionSynchronization interface.
> Occasionally, when the client generates an error, weblogic
> crashes with the error "Error marking transaction for rollback"

What do you mean by crashes? Does the JVM exit? Is there any exception
(it sounds like there is since you have a message/)

Can you show me the full error message / stack trace?

> Then my weblogic server simply fails to respond to any more
> client requests.

That's odd. If it really crashed then the process is gone.

-- Rob

> Any ideas?
> Thanks.

Rajasekhar

Jan 16, 2003, 1:04:56 PM1/16/03

Rob,

Sorry, I should have been more specific. The application is still running but
fails to handle any more requests. It's as if there was a deadlock or something.
(The CPU is idling.)

Following is the stack trace on the server:

<Jan 15, 2003 10:44:08 AM EST> <Notice> <EJB> <Error marking transaction for rol
lback: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot mark the transaction for rollback
xid=10:52af2ebf803e1bf8, status=Rolled back. [Reason=weblogic.transaction.inte
rnal.AppSetRollbackOnlyException]
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot mark the transaction for rollback. xid=1
0:52af2ebf803e1bf8, status=Rolled back. [Reason=weblogic.transaction.internal.Ap
pSetRollbackOnlyException]
at weblogic.transaction.internal.TransactionImpl.throwIllegalStateExcept
ion(TransactionImpl.java:1492)
at weblogic.transaction.internal.TransactionImpl.setRollbackOnly(Transac
tionImpl.java:466)
at weblogic.ejb20.internal.BaseEJBLocalHome.handleSystemException(BaseEJ
BLocalHome.java:208)
at weblogic.ejb20.internal.BaseEJBLocalObject.postInvoke(BaseEJBLocalObj
ect.java:190)
at com.mentisys.impl.pflows.process.WfProcessBean_vq6yws_ELOImpl.activit
y_complete(WfProcessBean_vq6yws_ELOImpl.java:90)
at com.mentisys.impl.pflows.activity.WfActivityBean.complete(WfActivityB
ean.java:996)
at com.mentisys.impl.pflows.activity.WfActivityBean_43cyi_EOImpl.complet
e(WfActivityBean_43cyi_EOImpl.java:621)
at com.mentisys.impl.pflows.activity.WfActivityBean_43cyi_EOImpl_WLSkel.
invoke(Unknown Source)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.invoke(BasicServerRef.java:305)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.jav
a:274)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest
java:22)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)

Rob Woollen

Jan 16, 2003, 5:28:39 PM1/16/03
This exception indicates that the EJB container is trying to mark a
transaction for rollback, but the Transaction Manager won't allow this
since the transaction has already been rolled back. That might happen
if the transaction timed out for instance.

Tell me more about your application not handling any requests. It looks
like you're making RMI calls to the server. what happens when you try
to make one of these calls? If you believe the server or application is
deadlocked, take a thread dump (or several) and post them here.

-- Rob