StringIndexOutOfBounds while deploying war file (6.1 sp2)

Axel Großmann

Jan 7, 2002, 11:17:48 AM1/7/02
Hi all,

a .war file which deployed fine with WL6.1 SP1 now produces a strange
error when I try to deploy it from console. (It is packaged in a .ear
file together with some ejb and web modules.)

By the way, there is no manifest in this war file.

Thanks,
Axel.

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1525)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppHelper.resolveManifestName(WebAppHelper.java:469)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppHelper.extractClassFiles(WebAppHelper.java:177)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.extractClassFiles(WebAppServletContext.java:3405)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.setDocroot(WebAppServletContext.java:3376)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.init(WebAppServletContext.java:862)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.<init>(WebAppServletContext.java:815)
at weblogic.servlet.internal.HttpServer.loadWebApp(HttpServer.java:428)
at weblogic.j2ee.WebAppComponent.deploy(WebAppComponent.java:74)
at weblogic.j2ee.Application.addComponent(Application.java:163)
at weblogic.j2ee.J2EEService.addDeployment(J2EEService.java:117)
at
weblogic.management.mbeans.custom.DeploymentTarget.addDeployment(DeploymentTarget.java:329)
at
weblogic.management.mbeans.custom.DeploymentTarget.addDeployment(DeploymentTarget.java:144)
at
weblogic.management.mbeans.custom.WebServer.addWebDeployment(WebServer.java:76)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.invokeLocally(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:636)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.invoke(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:621)
at
weblogic.management.internal.ConfigurationMBeanImpl.invoke(ConfigurationMBeanImpl.java:359)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1555)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:468)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:209)
at $Proxy31.addWebDeployment(Unknown Source)
at
weblogic.management.configuration.WebServerMBean_CachingStub.addWebDeployment(WebServerMBean_CachingStub.java:1121)
at
weblogic.management.mbeans.custom.DeploymentTarget.addDeployment(DeploymentTarget.java:315)
at
weblogic.management.mbeans.custom.DeploymentTarget.addDeployment(DeploymentTarget.java:144)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.invokeLocally(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:636)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.invoke(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:621)
at
weblogic.management.internal.ConfigurationMBeanImpl.invoke(ConfigurationMBeanImpl.java:359)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1555)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
at
weblogic.management.internal.ConfigurationMBeanImpl.updateConfigMBeans(ConfigurationMBeanImpl.java:491)
at
weblogic.management.internal.ConfigurationMBeanImpl.invoke(ConfigurationMBeanImpl.java:361)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1555)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.invoke(MBeanServerImpl.java:1523)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:468)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:209)
at $Proxy14.addDeployment(Unknown Source)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.updateDeployments(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:1516)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.setAttribute(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:895)
at
weblogic.management.internal.DynamicMBeanImpl.setAttribute(DynamicMBeanImpl.java:847)
at
weblogic.management.internal.ConfigurationMBeanImpl.setAttribute(ConfigurationMBeanImpl.java:295)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.setAttribute(MBeanServerImpl.java:1356)
at
com.sun.management.jmx.MBeanServerImpl.setAttribute(MBeanServerImpl.java:1331)
at
weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.setAttribute(MBeanProxy.java:322)
at weblogic.management.internal.MBeanProxy.invoke(MBeanProxy.java:204)
at $Proxy74.setTargets(Unknown Source)
at
weblogic.management.console.info.FilteredMBeanAttribute.doSet(FilteredMBeanAttribute.java:92)
at
weblogic.management.console.actions.mbean.DoEditMBeanAction.perform(DoEditMBeanAction.java:135)
at
weblogic.management.console.actions.internal.ActionServlet.doAction(ActionServlet.java:171)
at
weblogic.management.console.actions.internal.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:85)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:265)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletStubImpl.invokeServlet(ServletStubImpl.java:200)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.WebAppServletContext.invokeServlet(WebAppServletContext.java:2495)
at
weblogic.servlet.internal.ServletRequestImpl.execute(ServletRequestImpl.java:2204)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)

Axel Großmann

Jan 7, 2002, 12:04:01 PM1/7/02
to Axel Großmann

This was caused by a included jar ( in WEB-INF/lib ) that required
another jar which was missing.

Axel.

Mike Kerr

Jan 9, 2002, 1:34:22 PM1/9/02
I found that the deploy of jars in the
WEB-INF/lib directory was causing problems.
Specifically if the manifest.mf in the
jar did not have the correct
Class-Path: <name-of-jar> if would give
the index out of range.

Daniel Bratell

Jan 16, 2002, 10:58:40 AM1/16/02
Axel Großmann <axel.gr...@gmx.de> wrote in message news:<3C39CA2C...@gmx.de>...

> Hi all,
>
> a .war file which deployed fine with WL6.1 SP1 now produces a strange
> error when I try to deploy it from console. (It is packaged in a .ear
> file together with some ejb and web modules.)

I have the exact same problem. I've read through some newsgroups and
it seems to be a general problem with SP2. There are several posts in
several newsgroups about but none mentions any workaround beside
reverting to earlier versions of WebLogic.

Is there anybody that knows what triggers this bug? There must be a
workaround since I can not imagine that BEA has missed this bug if it
affected everyone.

/Daniel

Axel Großmann

Jan 21, 2002, 3:02:18 AM1/21/02

Just be sure to have all needed jars in your WEB-INF/lib. I missed
to put a jar file into it which was required (classpath in manifest) by
another jar, which was inside.

Weblogic re-jars all library files when the webapp is deployed; during
this it also seems to check the dependencies between the jars.

Axel.

oleg morenkov

Feb 2, 2002, 10:31:55 PM2/2/02
daniel....@idainfront.se (Daniel Bratell) wrote in message news:<e43849f5.0201...@posting.google.com>...

> Is there anybody that knows what triggers this bug? There must be a
> workaround since I can not imagine that BEA has missed this bug if it
> affected everyone.

check WEB-INF/lib/*.jar libraries for manifest files that contain
"Class-Path: " line.
consider deleting the line if you don't need it; if you really need
this classpath, put the relevant libraries in WEB-INF/lib
[WEB-INF/classes] or modify the server classpath.

Perry Hoekstra

Apr 11, 2002, 3:08:28 PM4/11/02

What about .ear files? I have a *.jar file that is common between the EJB *.jar
file and the *.war file. I placed the name within the manifest.mf and located
the file witin the root of the *.ear file. This is generating the StringIndexOutOfBounds
error on deployment.