RMI Security Exception

Jeff Ryan

Feb 5, 2003, 4:40:17 PM2/5/03

We recently exposed one of our EJBs to a client application running on a different
instance of WebLogic 6.1. The EJB is accessed via a proxy we distributed to the
client app. The proxy uses a service locator that caches the remote contexts
(but not the EJB home). We did not include a security principal and security
credentials in the InitialContext creation. Presumably, this would default to
guest.

All of a sudden, we are getting SecurityExceptions in the instance hosting the
EJB. These exceptions are for the system user. I've included a stack trace at
the end. At first it would appear that this was unrelated, but we are quite sure
that it is a side effect of the client application invoking our EJB via RMI.
However, the client application seems to be behaving o.k. as far as we can tell.

Can someone help in diagnosing why we are getting the security exceptions? We
thought that we might include a security principal and credentials to our initial
context lookup, but I'm not convinced that it would solve the problem. Any insight
that could be offered would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Jeff Ryan

####<Feb 4, 2003 11:55:51 AM EST> <Warning> <Dispatcher> <ebcsundev1> <ebcServer>
<ExecuteThread: '13' for queue: 'default'> <> <> <000000> <RuntimeException thrown
by rmi server: 'weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef@104 - jvmid: '-5327330701636467522S:157.209.143.232:[7016,7016,7002,7002,7016,7002,-1]:ebc4.9_QA:ebcServer',
oid: '260', implementation: 'weblogic.transaction.internal.CoordinatorImpl@332109''>

java.lang.SecurityException: Authentication for user system denied in realm wl_realm
at weblogic.security.acl.Realm.authenticate(Realm.java:195)
at weblogic.security.acl.Realm.getAuthenticatedName(Realm.java:233)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.Security.authenticate(Security.java:135)
at weblogic.security.acl.internal.Security.verify(Security.java:90)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicServerRef.handleRequest(BasicServerRef.java:242)
at weblogic.rmi.internal.BasicExecuteRequest.execute(BasicExecuteRequest.java:22)
at weblogic.kernel.ExecuteThread.execute(ExecuteThread.java:139)