webgl requirements and options

Aljosa Mohorovic

Apr 13, 2010, 1:17:22 PM4/13/10
to WebGL Dev List
from what i can tell, linux has pretty bad or incomplete drivers from
webgl perspective.
although mesa3d should support opengl 2.1 it often downgrades because
of xorg drivers and that results in no webgl support in chrome and
firefox on linux.
i've tested this on few linux computers but i expect similar
situations on windows. only mac has excellent opengl drivers.

since not all computers have good opengl support what do you think
will happen with webgl adoption?
what are actually minimum requirements for webgl to work and are there
alternative options?
i did read somewhere that somebody is working on direct3d support for
webgl.

Aljosa Mohorovic

Giles Thomas

Apr 13, 2010, 2:24:23 PM4/13/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com

Cheers,

Giles
--
Giles Thomas
gi...@giles.net

daniel miller

Apr 15, 2010, 11:40:55 PM4/15/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm no expert on the driver situation, but we do most of our webGL
development on Ubuntu. I believe we've had good luck with NVidia and
ATI cards -- full shader support, good framerates. There are some
problems with the Intel-native graphics drivers, or so I am told.

As with the other platforms, you need to get the right beta versions
and set them up correctly, as outlined here:

http://www.katalabs.com/blog/?page_id=61

Minefield also works, at least on my machines:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/

-dan

Lindsay Kay

Apr 16, 2010, 2:19:42 AM4/16/10
to webgl-d...@googlegroups.com
Me too, Ubuntu and NVidia with Chromium and Minefield, no problems
(other than the ones I create).

-Lindsay
--
http://www.retaggr.com/page/LindsayStanleyKay