multiple Webdriver instances for IE and Chrome two integrated application

Snehal Biche

Jul 18, 2016, 4:31:58 AM7/18/16
to webdriver

We have a requirement where our two web based applications need to be automated to execute scenario, One supports IE and the other one supports Chrome.

Scenario below:

  1. Open application 1 in IE, create user

  2. Open application 2 in Chrome, login user

  3. send message to queue
  4. From application 1 in IE, change properties of user created in step 1
  5. verify the message in queue reached to logged in user in application 2

I am aware of GRID but how one can manage execution of single scenario on different browser one after another?

Can we create two instances of WebDriver, 1 for IE and 2 for Chrome and call them as and when required in execution?

or there is better way to handle this scenario?

Thanks, Snehal

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Jul 18, 2016, 4:37:07 AM7/18/16
to webdriver
Irrespective of whether you use a Grid or not, it all boils down to your test requiring two WebDriver instances [ one for each browser flavor ]. After that your test would need to just toggle between the two browser flavors via their respective WebDriver instances and run through your scenario. So yes, what you have called out in terms of needing two webdriver instances is the way to go.

Grid is merely an execution environment that is aimed at scaling your execution capacity and also providing you with an option to run tests on multi browser + multi platform combos.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan

Snehal Biche

Jul 18, 2016, 5:02:46 AM7/18/16
to webdriver
Thanks a lot Krishnan, do you see any difficulty while switching (stale element exception?) I haven't tried this yet.

-Snehal

⇜Krishnan Mahadevan⇝

Jul 18, 2016, 5:03:54 AM7/18/16
to webdriver
That would make it two of us. I haven't tried this either since I haven't had a use case when this had to be done.

Thanks & Regards
Krishnan Mahadevan