se2.0a5 not working with test code that was working on 2.0a4

sqa tester

Aug 4, 2010, 4:48:09 PM8/4/10
to webdriver
When I tried to upgrade from sel2.0a4 to sel2.0a5 for test that uses
NON-remote webdriver, i am getting the following error:

2010-08-04 13:39:31,042 INFO [loadSelenium] Message :Bad request
(Note: The stack trace from the server side is missing. The locally-
generated stack trace is useless.)

This is what I have in my POM file:

<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium</artifactId>
<version>2.0a5</version>
</dependency>

Does selenium server need to be running for s2.0a5?

Test is running fine using 2.0a4

Simon Stewart

Aug 5, 2010, 5:00:41 AM8/5/10
to webd...@googlegroups.com
It may be that I need my morning coffee, but I don't understand what
this email means. I'll try and tease out some pieces:

* You don't need to run the server for NON-remote webdriver instances at all.

* It's strongly advised that you keep the remote client and the remote
server on the same version (that is, try not to mix 2.0a4 clients with
2.0a5 servers) We're still tweaking things, and this way you can avoid
any issues caused by version mis-match

* I have no idea where that log message came from. Is it from your
application? From the webdriver server? What method caused the
exception to be thrown? What were you expecting to happen? If you were
using the remote webdriver, you can see in the server logs that it
"peels" the exception chain to be as slim as possible. Does it contain
any information?

Simon

sqa tester

Aug 5, 2010, 1:23:09 PM8/5/10
to webdriver
Here's what I am seeing:

1. To clarify, I am using FirefoxDriver (my original wording of the
issue was confusing) and not remote webdriver.
2. In terms of POM dependency, I changed from 2.0a4 to 2.0a5. The same
code is working fine using 2.0a4.

<!--<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium</artifactId>
<version>2.0a4</version>
</dependency>-->
<dependency>
<groupId>org.seleniumhq.selenium</groupId>
<artifactId>selenium</artifactId>
<version>2.0a5</version>
</dependency>

3. From debugging it is failing at driver = new
FirefoxDriver(profile); for me. I have a method loadSelenium where I
instantiate my firefox driver.See code snippet and exception below :

log.info("Entering load selenium");

String pathPrefix = "src/main/resources/extensions/";
File xpathExtensionFile = new File(pathPrefix +
"xpath_checker-0.4.3-fx.xpi");
File firebugExtensionFile = new File(pathPrefix + "firebug-1.5.4-
fx.xpi");
FirefoxProfile profile = new FirefoxProfile();
profile.addExtension(xpathExtensionFile);
profile.addExtension(firebugExtensionFile);
driver = new FirefoxDriver(profile);

eventDriver = new
EventFiringWebDriver(driver);

if ("0".equals(screenshot_level)){
eventDriver.register(new AbstractWebDriverEventListener () {
public void onException(Throwable cause, WebDriver d) {
Utilities.captureScreenShot();
log.error("Exception occurred");
}
});

Exception:
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: Bad request
(Note: The stack trace from the server side is missing. The locally-
generated stack trace is useless.)
Method)
at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:
39)
at
sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:
27)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.throwIfResponseFailed(ErrorHandler.java:
104)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:
340)
at
org.openqa.selenium.firefox.FirefoxDriver.execute(FirefoxDriver.java:
237)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.startSession(RemoteWebDriver.java:
86)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.<init>(RemoteWebDriver.java:
73)
at
org.openqa.selenium.firefox.FirefoxDriver.<init>(FirefoxDriver.java:
141)
at
org.openqa.selenium.firefox.FirefoxDriver.<init>(FirefoxDriver.java:
101)
at myads.common.TestEnvironment.loadSelenium(TestEnvironment.java:
314)
at myads.verifypageobjects.TestBilling.setUp(TestBilling.java:40)
at
39)
at
25)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.MethodRoadie.runBefores(MethodRoadie.java:
122)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.MethodRoadie.runBeforesThenTestThenAfters(MethodRoadie.java:
86)
at org.junit.internal.runners.MethodRoadie.runTest(MethodRoadie.java:
77)
at org.junit.internal.runners.MethodRoadie.run(MethodRoadie.java:42)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.invokeTestMethod(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:
88)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.runMethods(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:
51)
at org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner
$1.run(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:44)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.ClassRoadie.runUnprotected(ClassRoadie.java:
27)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.ClassRoadie.runProtected(ClassRoadie.java:
37)
at
org.junit.internal.runners.JUnit4ClassRunner.run(JUnit4ClassRunner.java:
42)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:
46)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:
38)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:
467)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:
683)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:
390)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:
197)