ElementNotVisibleException thrown for an element that is visible

jones

Oct 15, 2010, 5:15:06 PM10/15/10
to webdriver
I'm getting the following exception when trying to interact with an
element on a page

org.openqa.selenium.ElementNotVisibleException: Element is not
currently visible and so may not be used for typing
System info: os.name: 'Windows XP', os.arch: 'x86', os.version: '5.1',
java.version: '1.6.0_20'
Driver info: driver.version: remote
System info: os.name: 'Linux', os.arch: 'amd64', os.version:
'2.6.31-22-generic', java.version: '1.6.0_18'
Driver info: driver.version: remote
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.ErrorHandler.throwIfResponseFailed(ErrorHandler.java:
94)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebDriver.execute(RemoteWebDriver.java:
327)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebElement.execute(RemoteWebElement.java:
186)
at
org.openqa.selenium.remote.RemoteWebElement.sendKeys(RemoteWebElement.java:
67)
at search.AdvancedSearchPage.fillOfccpId(AdvancedSearchPage.java:48)

I am using RemoteWebdriver with Firefox 3.6.10 on a Windows XP machine
being called from a linux machine. Runing selenium server 2.0a4 on the
windows machine.

The page doesn't have any special handling of that element, i.e. a
user can always interact with it when on that page.

The code that throws the exception is simply

public void fillOfccpId(String ofccpId)
{
WebElement ofccpInput =
driver.findElement(By.name("ofccpTrackingIdentifier"));
ofccpInput.sendKeys(ofccpId);
}

Html for the element
<input type="text" maxlength="64" value="" class="text"
name="ofccpTrackingIdentifier" id="ofccpTrackingIdentifier"

The element has a width, height and display:inline.

From firebug
width 240px
height 16px
position static
display inline
visibility visible
z-index auto
overflow-x visible
overflow-y visible
white-space normal
clip auto
float none
clear none
-moz-box-sizing content-box

Any thoughts?

Daniel Wagner-Hall

Oct 29, 2010, 5:17:34 PM10/29/10
to webdriver
Can you give us the full HTML for the page (or at least a page which
shows the problem), and the full CSS?