Selenium 3.0.1 & geckodriver 0.11.1: Firefox 50.0 starts w/ empty page, hangs for 2 min, restarts, then test runs. Why?

Jan Zankowski

Dec 3, 2016, 7:28:22 AM12/3/16
to webdriver
Would anyone know why I'm getting this behavior on FF 50.0, Selenium 3.0.1, geckodriver 0.11.1, 64-bit Linux?
  • Firefox opens up to a blank page.
  • It stays like this for about 2 minutes.
  • It closes and then immediately restarts.
  • The test runs and passes.
Full write up & logs are here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/40789893

Many thanks!
Jan

prashant nikam

Dec 3, 2016, 7:40:49 AM12/3/16
to webdriver
I am also facing same issue.. it took more time to launch browser and  even driver.get(sUrl); is also very slow.

darrell grainger

Dec 4, 2016, 11:15:31 PM12/4/16
to webdriver
I'm using FF 50.0.2, Selenium 3.0.1, geckodriver 0.11.1 and Mac OS X. I'm not seeing the same behaviour. The version of Firefox is slightly higher. Maybe there was a fix that helps you. If you are at 50.0.2 and it is still doing this odd behaviour then it looks like it might be a Linux thing.

Are you sure you doing something REALLY simple and it still happens? Just take the code:

public static void main(String argv[]) {
System.setProperty("webdriver.gecko.driver", "~/geckodriver");
DesiredCapabilities dc = DesiredCapabilities.firefox();
WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver(dc);
driver.get("http://www.google.com");
long stop = System.currentTimeMillis();
driver.quit();
System.out.printf("%d milliseconds\n", stop-start);
}

When I run this I get the same speeds and behaviour as when I run it in my test framework. If you are not seeing the behaviour then maybe there is something in your project setup which is causing the issue.

Andreas Tolfsen

Dec 6, 2016, 3:06:56 AM12/6/16
to webd...@googlegroups.com
Jan Zankowski <jan.za...@gmail.com> writes:

> Would anyone know why I'm getting this behavior on FF 50.0, Selenium
> 3.0.1, geckodriver 0.11.1, 64-bit Linux?
> Firefox opens up to a blank page.
> It stays like this for about 2 minutes.
> It closes and then immediately restarts.

It’s impossible to tell without more detailed logs. Please include a
verbose log from geckodriver by passing

{moz:firefoxOptions: {log: {level: "trace"}}}

as a capability. See the geckodriver README for more information on
how to configure the driver.