Tracing long waits in Firefox

Carlos Villela

Apr 21, 2009, 5:57:32 AM4/21/09
to webdriver
Hello lovely Webdriver people!

We have been scratching our heads a little bit lately. We have
introduced WebDriver to our project and completely replaced Selenium a
couple of months ago, and it's super duper awesome.

A few days ago, however, we've noticed that Firefox seems to be
getting stuck on with 'Waiting for localhost' and a 99% progress bar
quite often, rendering our test runs pretty slow on developer's
machines (this doesn't seem to be a problem in our CI environment,
which runs in a completely different setup due to reasons I won't
delve into). This might well be a problem with our app not being able
to respond to enough requests in a short amount of time, and I know
there are some external dependencies and sites being pulled in by our
javascript (damn ads!) There are two points to this message, really:

- Has anyone experienced anything similar? How did you find out where
the problem was?
- Can we add something to WebDriver to make identifying those sluggy
waits easier, sort of like a profiling monitor?

Cheers!

// Carlos

Daniel Gredler

Apr 22, 2009, 6:20:47 PM4/22/09
to webd...@googlegroups.com
If you can reproduce this problem while browsing manually, the "Net" tab in Firebug should show you where it's stuck in the sequence of downloadable content.
--
Daniel Gredler
http://daniel.gredler.net/

Simon Stewart

Apr 29, 2009, 4:00:30 AM4/29/09
to webd...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like the Firebug integration issue to me:

http://code.google.com/p/webdriver/issues/detail?id=104

I'm not quite sure about the best way to go about surfacing this
information, but I suspect that adding some methods to the firefox
driver might be one way of handling this. I'm open to ideas....

Regards,

Simon