welcome marcus!

Michael Kimsal

Jul 13, 2012, 1:52:33 PM7/13/12
to webde...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for joining!  What's your background?

Marcus

Jul 13, 2012, 9:11:49 PM7/13/12
to webde...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, July 13, 2012 7:52:33 PM UTC+2, Michael Kimsal wrote:
Thanks for joining!  What's your background?

Michael, before I forget, a comment on the last podcast. I checked out Codepen.io today. I agree, more visually inviting and appealing than jsfiddle. OTOH, it has more focus on cool design and CSS. So they seem to be different communities. jsfiddle is used a lot with stackoverflow. One correction/update: jsfiddle does have a "fork" feature. Maybe it's new, I only discovered jsfiddle a month or so ago.

I started out with BASIC and some C, then Perl for CGI stuff. That led to using Perl with various GUIs like Perl/Tk, Win32:GUI and wxPerl (wxWidgets) for cross-platform desktop apps. Remastered a few live Linux distros (Knoppix and Puppy Linux) as pure USB stick versions. Got into Javascript through developing a few Firefox add-ons. All text-to-speech extensions. Currently, I develop web apps, browser extensions, and Android apps via PhoneGap/Cordova.

I'm not a CS engineer though. Studies focused mainly on linguistics and literature, some art history. Did a year of AI though. Thought I'd be a translator, which I did for a short time, but ended up in IT.

I started listening to the podcast because it's so cool how javascript and server-side web apps have come of age in the past few years. What I like most is having a cross-platform development environment inside the browser now. Around 2000-2002 "real programmers" were still mocking, or were at least bemused by javascript. It seemed to mainly be used to create annoying scrolling news tickers, pop-ups etc. I never thought I'd be using it myself, let alone that it would become an exciting technology.

Marcus

Michael Kimsal

Jul 13, 2012, 9:37:15 PM7/13/12
to webde...@googlegroups.com
Interesting - I hadn't seen a fork option on jsfiddle, but it's been a few months since I used it for anything - and there it is.  If it was there before, it wasn't very prominent (can't please everyone I guess).

Yeah - you're right, codepen and jsfiddle are probably serving somewhat different audiences - jsfiddle seems more utilitarian - that's the word I was looking for that I couldn't quite get yesterday.

Agreed - JS and web have come to much wider acceptance, although *most * of my career has been in web, so it's hard to imagine what professional dev would have been like without it.  No, scratch that - I remember enough to know I like web stuff much better! :)

Marcus

Michael Kimsal
http://michaelkimsal.com
919.827.4724