Can't install to hard drive

Kelly Fields

Aug 9, 2017, 1:10:27 PM8/9/17
to Webconverger Users
I'm trying to install WC on a Dell Opti 7450 AIO and i get the initial 3 dots in the center like it's starting but then the screen goes black, it just freezes there?  I've trying adjusting BIOS settings, used diskpart to clean and then tried again...nothing is working.  I know my usb drive is good because it works fine on a laptop I tested.   Anybody seen this before?

Kai Hendry

Aug 13, 2017, 2:39:49 PM8/13/17
to webc-users
Sorry, been on holiday!

Try remove splash and quiet from the cmdline and append debug. That
might show where we are getting stuck.

With new machines, I suspect UEFI or "secure boot" (aka run only
Windows boot because Microsoft are subsidising PCs & Microsoft want to
monopolise this platform) might be causing an issue and it may need
switching back to BIOS "legacy" mode.

Don't be afraid to re-image the USB install disk and also try in other
hardware to sanity test your media & hardware.

If you are a paying customer, let me know how many machines, and if it
is worthwhile I can try source one from Dell.

Kind regards,

Kelly Fields

Aug 15, 2017, 3:39:54 PM8/15/17
to Webconverger Users
I have about 20 machines I'm trying to use and yes we are paying.

Kai Hendry

Aug 29, 2017, 9:25:15 AM8/29/17
to Webconverger Users
We think it might be down to the new Optiplex hardware you are running. We are working on a Debian 9 update. Please hold tight.

In the meantime you could try: https://build.webconverger.com/2017-08-29/35.1-39-g0f964c7739/ea8a2d31faa8449a639dc5ed86ce6d67b746e42a.iso but that link will be removed within a month.

Kind regards,