Major upgrade to Debian "jessie" coming soon

Kai Hendry

Oct 28, 2014, 2:50:41 AM10/28/14
to webc-users
Hi guys,

So I'm driving ahead with moving to "Jessie", the codename for
Debian's soon-to-be stable.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/issues/198#event-184507586

Debian stable (wheezy) atm as usual has horribly out of date graphics
drivers amongst other things. This is hindering deployments on new
hardware.

Just a reminder that *testing* Webconverger with our configuration
panel service is free of cost. If you make a commercial deployment
however we ask for payment.

So with the control panel like
http://s.natalian.org/2014-10-28/1414478082_1364x748.png or
specifically `fetch-revision=jessie` you can jump to using "jessie"
when you install Webconverger. I might try get "jessie" branch daily
builds going, depending on the issues I find and demand for it.

Of course you could choose _not_ to use the super duper easy peasy
configuration service and build http://webconverger.org/develop from
the "jessie" branch.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/tree/jessie

If you find issues with Jessie, I will reward / acknowledge you for
reporting issues on https://github.com/webconverger/webc/issues :-)

When I'm comfortable with the state of the jessie branch, it will be
merged into master and probably released as Webconverger 27. It will
be quite a major change across the board... maybe it should be called
Webconverger 30 since we are running quite behind Firefox releases. ;)

Happy testing,

Guttorm Flatabø

Dec 16, 2014, 9:21:13 AM12/16/14
to Webconverger forum

So with the control panel like
http://s.natalian.org/2014-10-28/1414478082_1364x748.png or
specifically `fetch-revision=jessie` you can jump to using "jessie"
when you install Webconverger. I might try get "jessie" branch daily

I'd like to try jessie installed, either using the `fetch-revision=jessie` on latest.iso or just using jessie.iso. After I'm done with the testing, can I then downgrade to the latest stable by using 'fetch-revision=81f4edad84fa3364a58c7acb90ec6880e14003e0' or 'update-revision=81f4edad84fa3364a58c7acb90ec6880e14003e0' until it has been downgraded and then remove the argument from the control panel?

--
Guttorm

Kai Hendry

Dec 16, 2014, 9:29:25 AM12/16/14
to webc-users
If you see http://webconverger.org/upgrade

fetch-revision=jessie corresponds to the branch name, i.e.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/tree/jessie

And update-revision= would be used for the sha id.

But you could just simple remove fetch-revision=jessie altogether and
you would downgrade to stable aka "master" by default.

Hope that makes sense? :)

Guttorm Flatabø

Dec 16, 2014, 9:41:11 AM12/16/14
to Webconverger forum
fetch-revision=jessie corresponds to the branch name, i.e.
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/tree/jessie

And update-revision= would be used for the sha id.

Indeed, I short circuited for a moment there :-)

But you could just simple remove fetch-revision=jessie altogether and
you would downgrade to stable aka "master" by default.

Did think of it, but didn't think it would be that easy!

Hope that makes sense? :)

Absolutely!

--
Guttorm