WebConverger v26 Static IP for installed version

pgendr...@gmail.com

Sep 30, 2014, 9:09:17 AM9/30/14
to webc-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I'm new to webcongerver and to be completely honest haven't a clue about Linux.

I need to set a static IP address, sm, gw, dns for my kiosk.  The Kiosk is on our DMZ and the firewall isn't a DHCP server.  If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.  Also an explanation of the parameters used would great too.

Using the wen config would be fine for me.

Kai Hendry

Oct 1, 2014, 3:09:28 AM10/1/14
to webc-users
Hi there Paul,

The short story is **we do not support static networking** (right now)
in the install version. We only support DHCP. I've been reluctant to
implement static networking, as the setup is as complicated as setting
up wireless. And I've seen plenty of people struggle with wireless,
which in turn has given me support nightmares. :-)

There are cheap access points that allow you to configure your static
IP in WAN and have a NAT local network. Deploying one for your
Webconverger deployment would save us all a lot of pain!

However I did spend some time looking at implementing this. We could
take the ip= code from

http://live.debian.net/gitweb/?p=live-boot.git;a=blob;f=components/9990-netbase.sh

And incorporate it into
https://github.com/Webconverger/webc/blob/master/etc/webc/wireless
basically.

Actually I did test the ip= with the current Webconverger live version (26).
removing "skipconfig" and appending
ip=eth0:192.168.0.9:255.255.255.0:192.168.0.1:: works and I verified
this by using "debug".

Confusingly I think the ip= interface changed later in live-boot.
http://live.debian.net/manpages/git/en/html/live-boot.7.html

So you could workaround by using the live version, but you would
basically need to build an ISO with that configuration and you
wouldn't get updates.

Otherwise you could convince me to support static IPs. Static IPs
which I believe don't scale & are terribly error prone. Which are an
absolute pain to support and just generally a bad bad idea. Though I
could be missing something.

Kind regards,