Future improvements for webapp2 (webapp improved)?

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

May 17, 2016, 8:08:08 AM5/17/16
to webapp2
Hello,

I was thinking about suggesting a small improvement to webapp2 (specifically adding PBKDF2 to webapp2_extras.security.generate_password_hash - since the offered method - salted sha1 and md5 - are not considered secure any more) however it seems to me that the development has somewhat stalled (for example the github repo -https://github.com/moraes/webapp-improved - hasn't had any updates since 2011).

Is this true? Is the development stalled? Are you looking for contributors to help? What is the best venue to submit requests / patches?

Kind regards,
Grey Panther

Anastasios Hatzis

May 17, 2016, 9:25:07 AM5/17/16
to webapp2
It seems, that future development now happens under Google Cloud Platform. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/google-appengine/webapp2/google-appengine/PWKcZbKOj1U/6XORLEQXBgAJ

Jon Parrott

May 17, 2016, 1:46:01 PM5/17/16
to webapp2
That's correct, you can submit PRs to https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/webapp2.

I'm happy to review. I'll be cutting a new release at some point.

HATZIS Edelstahlbearbeitung GmbH
Hojen 2
87490 Haldenwang (Allgäu)
Germany

Handelsregister Kempten (Allgäu): HRB 4204
Geschäftsführer: Paulos Hatzis, Charalampos Hatzis
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 128791802
GLN: 42 504331 0000 6

http://www.hatzis.de/

Attila-Mihaly Balazs

Jun 22, 2016, 12:46:28 PM6/22/16
to webapp2
Thank you both to for quick and informative answer.

Given that the original author donated the project to google, could we perhaps give the updated link in a couple of places to make this clear to people (like myself) who land in the outdated parts?

- perhaps sticky a post on this group pointing to the new repository  / google group
- update the https://github.com/moraes/webapp-improved repo's readme file pointing to the new repository / google group (since it's the first one which comes up for me when searching "webapp improved github")
- update the http://webapp-improved.appspot.com/ site to point to the new location

Thank you,
Attila

Jon Parrott

Jun 22, 2016, 1:39:28 PM6/22/16
to webapp2
This is all planned, I just have been on vacation and such and haven't been able to get around to it. Expect a few updates over the next few weeks.