Is webapp2 still an actively developed project?

Jul 14, 2013, 11:52:47 AM7/14/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Is webapp2 still an actively developed project?

I ask because there seem to be quite a few outstanding issues (https://code.google.com/p/webapp-improved/issues/list) with the most recent update released in Feb 2012 (https://code.google.com/p/webapp-improved/downloads/list).

Bijan Rahnema

Jul 15, 2013, 4:01:43 AM7/15/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Looking at the issue tracker, the last source commits and Rodrigos interest in GOlang I started to worry about the future of webapp2, too. Is it still active or would one recommend using Flask on GAE? I think this question is interesting for many people out here like me who plan to create apps based on google technologies. I found an answer from in 2011 on stackoverflow concerning flask vs webapp2. Personally I want to stick with the most "googleish" way of doing things on appengine.

Harendra Bhandari

Jul 15, 2013, 5:11:59 AM7/15/13
to webapp2
I have had those concerns too. When you build your app make sure you separate the framework bit from your main logic. This will make transition to other
frameworks really easy. The WSGI part is handled by webob, which is being actively developed. I think the development slowed down after Guido left Google for Dropbox. If I were building a new app now I would definitely use Django.

Sam Carecho

Jul 15, 2013, 4:08:23 PM7/15/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Django is way too "heavy". Not the best path on App Engine.
Flask is not supported by the Python 2.7 runtime.

I wouldn't worry about using WebApp2 on any new project, it's safe..
The latest version available on the Python 2.7 runtime is stable, lightweight and works well with App Engine.

But if you want to be 100% bullet proof, just skip Webapp2 and Django as you do not need them to build projects for App Engine.

Cheers,
Sam.

Robert King

Jul 16, 2013, 11:07:49 PM7/16/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
"webapp2 is considered stable, feature complete and well tested, but if you think something is missing or is not working well, please describe it in our issue tracker"

I've been happily using webapp2 for a while without any issues.

Rob Curtis

Jul 18, 2013, 4:08:25 AM7/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Sam and Robert.

Also, the fact that google recommends using webapp2 for python 2.7 should be proof enough that the product is stable.

https://developers.google.com/appengine/docs/python/tools/webapp2

Jul 18, 2013, 6:08:46 AM7/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
My concern is not whether the framework is stable at the moment (it is for my purposes too), but rather whether it will keep up with the rather rapid progress of appengine itself, and web standards in general. It seems that other frameworks, most notably Django, are constantly iterating... I suppose I'm just wondering if webapp2 is going to be left behind, much like webapp (there are probably better contemporary examples) seems to have been.

Eduardo Schettino

Jul 18, 2013, 6:51:56 AM7/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Stable doesn't mean bug free.

The project is not maintained, no one bothers to reply raised issues
(http://code.google.com/p/webapp-improved/issues/list)
or this thread...

Another problem is python3 support. A "stable" project not maintained
will never support future releases :)

my two cents

Sam Carecho

Jul 18, 2013, 9:29:40 AM7/18/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't worry about Python 3 for now. Most cloud platforms, including App Engine do not support it.
As I see no need for any framework project to worry about it also.

Python 3.0 has a long way until it will be widely supported.

If one's plan is to test new stacks, go head with Pyhton 3, but is one's plan is to build for production Python 2.7 is the right path.