A Week to Behold: From Civic Hacking to Walkable Streets to Grant Opportunities

Alnisa Allgood

Oct 23, 2013, 8:51:30 AM10/23/13
to SASYNA-Di...@yahoogroups.com, Sustainable Atwood, ei...@yahoogroups.com, marqna, Web608
Hi All-

Madison Nonprofit Day, Tuesday, 29 October 2013, is rapidly approaching and we've got an array of great events and opportunities you should know about. Many, but not all, are associated with Madison Nonprofit Day, but they're all great events.

Madison Magazine M-List Event - October 24
http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison-Magazine/Events/The-M-List/
An evening reception and celebration for YOU. Join Madison Magazine, co-host Greater Madison Chamber of Commerce and keynote speaker Hugh Forrest, director of South by Southwest Interactive, in launching the first annual M List issue. Celebrate the city's culture, creativity and emerging technology sector as we honor the entrepreneurs and technologists who've launched and grown businesses this year. Also join for the afternoon Startup Crawl.

CityHack - October 25
Join developers from Hardin DD and Bendyworks in a civic hackathon to work on projects that make Madison a better place to live. Developers, graphic artists, and tinker'ers are free to team up with anyone present, or work on projects before the event. The Mayor is also willing to meet with any groups after the event, and set up meetings with necessary staff members. It's free and will be held on the 3rd floor of Central Library from 9 am to 5 pm, Friday October 25. Ideas and more info are here.

CityCamp - October 26
http://madisonnonprofitday.org/2013/activities/citycamp_madison_2013                           The event will bring together local government officials, municipal employees, programmers, designers, citizens, and journalists to share perspectives and insights about the cities in which they live.The focus of the 2013 Camp is rough consensus and running code, with a priority on deploying working systems. While this may not be last CityCamp as a singular event, we hope it will mark the transition from occasional events to a more sustained community of civic hackers. More info is here.

Kick-Off: Madison Nonprofits Bike Tour - October 28
http://madisonnonprofitday.org/2013/activities/madison_nonprofits_bike_tour                  The Official Madison Nonprofit Day Kick-Off Event is "Madison Nonprofits Bike Tour." The tour, lead by Wisconsin Bike Fed - Madison, will take participants through the streets and biking pathsof Madison to visit and learn from local nonprofits, "How do they use bicycling as a tool for moving your organizations mission forward?" More info is here.

Madison Nonprofit Day Conference - October 29
The Madison Nonprofit Day Conference is an amazing opportunity for nonprofits and community members to access education, inspiration, and networking opportunities. There are early bird sessions on social media and networking, early evening sessions on grant research and grant writing, and a plethora of other opportunities ranging from building your leadership skills to bettering your use of technology. More than 32 workshops over the course of the day. More info is here.

Walkable Streets Build Better Neighborhoods - October 29
“Streets are often seen as merely a way to get from here to there, but they should be seen—and designed—as  walkable, interconnected public spaces, like parks and plazas, where communities are built and strengthened. Walkable streets and neighborhoods benefit us all, but how can we tell when our streets have walk appeal? Matt Covert of 1000 Friends of Wisconsin will deliver a brief talk that describes and explores the ways we understand walkability as a way of building stronger neighborhoods and communities. Attendees will then take part in a walkability brainstorming session and share stories about their walking experiences.” More info is here.

Wisconsin Community Fund- Social Equity Grant Cycle - November 15
http://www.forwardci.org/build-financial-capacity/wcf-funding-opportunites
Awards of $500-$10,000 will be made to community organizations and/or programs that advocate for social equity, social change and social justice and that support inclusive and equitable communities in Wisconsin. More info is here.

Alnisa
Co-Organizer
Madison Nonprofit Day

Fall Into the Habit of Nourishing Madison's Nonprofits
Madison Nonprofit Day
Tuesday, 29 October 2013

Alnisa Allgood
Executive Director