web2py helping the homeless in Lisbon

Leonel Câmara

Jun 28, 2016, 7:16:44 AM6/28/16
to web2py-users
My company has a project I thought you guys would like to know about.

In 2014 we were approached by the biggest NGO in Lisbon providing help to the homeless (Comunidade Vida e Paz). They had a huge problem, they have over 500 volunteers, divided by 56 teams, every day 4 teams go out and visit more than 100 points in the city, they distribute food to the needed, talk to them, they also try and convince them to go into rehab, solve their documentation problems, and direct them to programs specific to their needs to get them out of the streets. They managed all this using paper reports and excel spreadsheets.

Thanks to web2py ease of use and features, namely, GIS support we were able to do a custom made management system for them which includes among many other features :

- Route maker where you can create the routes your teams will use.
- Create teams and assign them to a route.
- Each time a team goes out they have to make a report where they insert what they did in each point of the route, allowing among other things to optimize routes and improve the logistics (e.g. how many meals they take in the vans).
- Browse the data of all the reports so a team can know what happened in their route the previous days.
- The people they're helping also have a profile in the platform where all the volunteers can follow the steps being done to help them (it was a big problem for volunteer motivation that they didn't know what happened to the people that got out of the street).
- Register sightings of the people they're helping so they can more easily search for them if needed.
- Schedule appointments in specialized help centers.
- Reddit like debate area for the volunteers.
- Classifieds for urgent needs.
- Dynamic quiz system to verify the volunteer's knowledge and motivations.

Right now we're working on making the system flexible enough that it can be used by all kinds of NGOs working on routes.

If you want to support the project you can vote for us in a contest we're participating in:
(it requires a phone number to which it sends a SMS to verify that people only vote once)

Thank you to all web2py developers for making this possible.

Kiran Subbaraman

Jun 28, 2016, 7:58:06 AM6/28/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
Leonel,
Thanks for sharing this; inspiring to know that your team, and web2py is a making a difference in people's lives. All the best with this effort.
Kiran Subbaraman
http://subbaraman.wordpress.com/about/
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Ron Chatterjee

Jun 28, 2016, 11:47:57 AM6/28/16
to web2py-users
Is that the picture of mother teresa in the hero section?

Massimo Di Pierro

Jun 28, 2016, 12:18:35 PM6/28/16
to web2py-users
Thank you for sharing Leonel.