PYTHON 3

LoveWeb2py

Feb 10, 2018, 7:54:36 AM2/10/18
to web2py-users
Need to know if this is actually going to be happening soon. We're making critical design choices now and will be implementing next month. We currently use web2py, but obviously it doesn't support python3.

PS: For the love of all that's holy, please don't name it web3py. Web2py v3 makes more sense.

Leonel Câmara

Feb 10, 2018, 8:11:54 AM2/10/18
to web2py-users
It has already happened. Web2py does support python 3, if you see all the latest commits in the github repository have been to fix python 3 issues as obviously it hasn't been tested as much as python 2.7. Problems you have due to python 3 are considered web2py bugs so it's definitely supported.

Massimo Di Pierro

Feb 11, 2018, 12:01:38 AM2/11/18
to web2py-users
Let's be clear.... web2py supported python3 for some time thanks to you, Paolo, and many others. Support is getting betters. yet one needs web2py apps written in python 3 to run with web2py on python 3. Apps written for python 2 will not work without some refactoring.

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Feb 11, 2018, 4:10:45 PM2/11/18
to web...@googlegroups.com

> PS: For the love of all that's holy, please don't name it web3py.
:)

Anthony

Feb 12, 2018, 3:44:13 PM2/12/18
to web2py-users
On Sunday, February 11, 2018 at 4:10:45 PM UTC-5, Carlos Cesar Caballero wrote:

> PS: For the love of all that's holy,  please don't name it web3py.

The name "web3py" was just a placeholder name for a completely new framework -- it was not intended to be the name for web2py with Python 3 support.

Anthony

LoveWeb2py

Feb 12, 2018, 3:58:30 PM2/12/18
to web2py-users
Makes sense, Anthony. Please don't ever call anything web3py. It doesn't make any sense and all new users won't understand what it means. If you want to have a brainstorming session I'd be happy to help. I bet all the users on this forum have a lot of great ideas!!

LoveWeb2py

Feb 12, 2018, 3:59:02 PM2/12/18
to web2py-users
With that said, Thank you for all of your hard work and to all the contributors for making such a wonderful framework. :)

António Ramos

Feb 14, 2018, 10:40:10 AM2/14/18
to web...@googlegroups.com
got an error with python 3.6
Any help?

Imagem inline 1

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Anthony

Feb 14, 2018, 10:52:20 AM2/14/18
to web2py-users
If you are running an app under Python 3, then the app code itself must be valid Python 3 code. Under Python 3, your code should be:

except Exception as e:

If you are seeing errors in your app code, there's a good chance the problem is that your old Python 2 code is no longer valid in Python 3. There are tools to help you update your code to Python 3.

Anthony

António Ramos

Feb 14, 2018, 11:13:35 AM2/14/18
to web...@googlegroups.com
But appadmin.py is not my code...

i got another error after fixing appadmin.py exception error.

Imagem inline 1

Anthony

Feb 14, 2018, 2:28:13 PM2/14/18
to web2py-users
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 11:13:35 AM UTC-5, Ramos wrote:
But appadmin.py is not my code...

Sorry, didn't notice that was in appadmin.py. But the same principle applies -- appadmin.py is a controller within your app, so when you upgrade the framework, you must also upgrade appadmin.py (as well as appadmin.html and web2py.js). The new version of appadmin.py has changed that line to:

except Exception as e:

Anthony

Jurgis Pralgauskis

Apr 9, 2018, 6:10:35 PM4/9/18
to web2py-users
Would be good if Py3 support would be highlighted in Instructions http://web2py.com/init/default/download
as now it says

> python2.7 web2py.py

Because most guys go there
ps.: and because  https://youtu.be/GudJlbK4TY8

Mamisoa Andriantafika

Apr 14, 2018, 4:54:28 PM4/14/18
to web2py-users
Hi,

I would agree that the docs should be updated: download page, deployment in web2py group etc...