web2py_osx.zip seems way out of date ???

jim kaubisch

Feb 7, 2018, 1:47:19 PM2/7/18
to web2py-users
Hi,

I needed to directed my attention away from my web2py project a few months ago but am now trying to get back into it.
A wise Step 1 would seem to be to update from 2.14.6 to the current version (2.16.1 I assume).

First tried from source but got

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "web2py.py", line 21, in <module>

    import gluon.widget

  File “./Development/web2py/gluon/__init__.py", line 38, in <module>

    from .dal import DAL, Field

  File “./Development/web2py/gluon/dal.py", line 17, in <module>

    from pydal.migrator import Migrator, InDBMigrator

ImportError: cannot import name InDBMigrator

I still have 2.14.6 installed (in a separate sub-tree) - is that the problem?

so I downloaded the mac "mac_osx.zip" to try that but -

after unzipping, when I try to run the resulting web2py/web2py.app I just get a pop up saying "web2py error".

When I look at the file info for the web2py.app file it says Version 2.4.7, dated 29 May, 2013

What am I doing wrong?

The app file info certainly doesn't look encouraging.

I assume having 2 versions of web2py in separate sub-trees shouldn't be a problem

Thanks,

Jim

jim kaubisch

Feb 7, 2018, 10:55:28 PM2/7/18
to web2py-users
Just to clarify, the web2py.app file in the "mac_osx.zip" is the one that looks to be out of date

Massimo Di Pierro

Feb 10, 2018, 11:55:36 PM2/10/18
to web2py-users
OK. will update as soon as we release a new version.

jim kaubisch

Feb 11, 2018, 1:40:20 PM2/11/18
to web2py-users
Thank you, Massimo !!

Is there any reason that one could not have 2 versions of web2py on disk at the same time?
The reason for wanting that is that is conservatism
   - Having thousands of lines of code developed under 2.14.6 and migrating them to 2.16.1
     if something doesn't work under the new version, being able to go back to the old might be useful to identify issues

What is the reason for the "ImportError: cannot import name InDBMigrator" error. Same error whether separately downloading source or using the builtin web2py "update" option

Thanks

jim kaubisch

Feb 14, 2018, 9:23:44 PM2/14/18
to web2py-users
Has no-one else had this problem?

Dave S

Feb 15, 2018, 5:05:26 AM2/15/18
to web2py-users
On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 at 6:23:44 PM UTC-8, jim kaubisch wrote:
Has no-one else had this problem?

I run web2py on Windows or on linux, and having multiple versions has not been a problem.  That's the way I usually upgrade, copying my applications across, and looking for js/css/appadmin changes.   Lets me switch back easily, and I'm not running anywhere that the size of web2py makes for a problem.

I don't often use a Mac, so I don't know how that environment changes things, other than some of the key labels.

/dps

jim kaubisch

Feb 24, 2018, 1:03:05 AM2/24/18
to web2py-users
Thanks for the reply, Dave.

There have been a number of issues surrounding the last couple of versions of Mac OS which come down to the fact that Apple has tightened security of the core of the system, As a result of that, some third party code doesn't always run because its trying to do things that it probably should never have been able to do, and that are no longer permitted - I was tearing my hair out the last couple of days trying to update my version of pyinstaller with pip failing no matter what I did because the system would not allow it to delete old files that it expected to be able to :(

The problem here may ultimately be tied up with this general issue. I will keep poking at it. It seems I'm the only one who has the problem :(

Jim
Message has been deleted

marco mansilla

Mar 9, 2018, 3:16:09 PM3/9/18
to web2py-users
I recently got this problem in Linux Debian, after upgrading web2py, fixed with

$sudo pip install pydal -U

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 16, 2018, 12:24:47 AM3/16/18
to web2py-users
For some reason you have two version of pydal, the one under web2py/gluon/packages and one in python site-packages and you are using the latter.
That should not be the case. You should use the one under web2py