lack of documentation

Andrea Fae'

Apr 9, 2017, 10:35:04 AM4/9/17
to web2py-users
Web2py is wonderful, but it has a big challenge. No documentation. Or at least no complete documentation. It's all based on the book and some site that can give you suggestions...it's too less.
Is there any person tha can tell me a complete reference of the language (don't tell me the api, I'm not so skilled to understand completely this docs...)
Thank you

Anthony

Apr 9, 2017, 11:37:55 AM4/9/17
to web2py-users
On Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 10:35:04 AM UTC-4, Andrea Fae' wrote:
Web2py is wonderful, but it has a big challenge. No documentation. Or at least no complete documentation. It's all based on the book

The book is the documentation, and is fairly comprehensive. What exactly do you consider to be incomplete?

and some site that can give you suggestions...it's too less.
Is there any person tha can tell me a complete reference of the language (don't tell me the api, I'm not so skilled to understand completely this docs...)

The book is the most complete documentation there is. If there are things you don't understand, just ask questions here or on Stack Overflow.

Anthony

Marlysson Silva

Apr 10, 2017, 7:07:48 AM4/10/17
to web2py-users
Do you are speaking about a couple of examples of "How to" ?

António Ramos

Apr 10, 2017, 6:42:11 PM4/10/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Andrea do you see what i see ?
Its only the DAL chapter...

Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Apr 11, 2017, 8:55:20 AM4/11/17
to web...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys, I think he is talking about the web2py api, and there are some undocumented features, by example, when you authenticate against an ldap you can map ldap groups against web2py groups, but this is not documented, and there are some undocumented features like that.

Greetings.

El 10/04/17 a las 18:41, António Ramos escribió:
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Anthony

Apr 11, 2017, 9:01:09 AM4/11/17
to web2py-users
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 8:55:20 AM UTC-4, Carlos Cesar Caballero wrote:

Hi guys, I think he is talking about the web2py api, and there are some undocumented features, by example, when you authenticate against an ldap you can map ldap groups against web2py groups, but this is not documented, and there are some undocumented features like that.

Yes, a few more advanced features are not documented, but that is far from being "no documentation".

Anthony

Anthony

Apr 11, 2017, 9:07:00 AM4/11/17
to web2py-users

And to be fair, ldap is a contrib module, and there is quite a bit of documentation in the module itself. For example:

    If you need group control from ldap to web2py app's database feel free
    to set:

        auth.settings.login_methods.append(ldap_auth(...as usual...,
            manage_groups=True,
            db=db,
            group_dn='
ou=Groups,dc=domain,dc=com',
            group_name_attrib='
cn',
            group_member_attrib='
memberUid',
            group_filterstr='
objectClass=*'
           ))

        Where:
        manage_group - let web2py handle the groups from ldap
        db - is the database object (need to have auth_user, auth_group,
            auth_membership)
        group_dn - the ldap branch of the groups
        group_name_attrib - the attribute where the group name is stored
        group_member_attrib - the attribute containing the group members name
        group_filterstr - as the filterstr but for group select

In fact, the book even explicitly directs the reader to the documentation within the module:

See the documentation of ldap_auth in web2py/gluon/contrib/login_methods/ldap_auth.py

Anthony

Andrea Fae'

Apr 24, 2017, 7:07:29 AM4/24/17
to web2py-users
Yes you are right, but there is something in the book, something in the code....no complete full documentation...managed in only one site. It's like it is...I have to accept this. thanks

António Ramos

Apr 24, 2017, 9:05:35 AM4/24/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
After a while you will go back to the book and say, aha here it is... and then you realize that the "ONES" that made the book did a great job...

That is my story :)

Sem vírus. www.avast.com

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Andrea Fae'

Apr 24, 2017, 11:21:28 AM4/24/17
to web2py-users
I completely agree with you about the book. It's very good written.

Anthony

Apr 24, 2017, 2:50:01 PM4/24/17
to web2py-users
On Monday, April 24, 2017 at 7:07:29 AM UTC-4, Andrea Fae' wrote:
Yes you are right, but there is something in the book, something in the code....no complete full documentation...managed in only one site. It's like it is...I have to accept this. thanks

You don't have to accept it -- you could make some pull requests to the book repo. ;-)

jean-mic...@meggitt.com

Apr 26, 2017, 9:57:50 PM4/26/17
to web2py-users
Hi,
I'm starting with web2py, it seems a very powerfull tool.
But concerning the documentation, it's difficult to read : in this document (see link above) it's OK from the beginning up to 75%. After the 75% the explainations and the code (in 'code' box) are inverted.
Who is in charge of this, in order to make it readable ?
Thanks.

Dave S

Apr 27, 2017, 5:41:51 AM4/27/17
to web2py-users
I think that would be the translator's responsibility; probably missed closing a div or a MarkMin helper somewhere.
Can you use the English version for that chapter?

/dps

jean-mic...@meggitt.com

Apr 27, 2017, 9:30:52 AM4/27/17
to web2py-users
Hi,
First : thank you, it's extacly what I'm searching : to join the translator, to show him.
Second : of course I can read it in English, but it takes a little more time :):)
Thank you for your awswer.

Richard Vézina

Apr 27, 2017, 4:50:23 PM4/27/17
to web2py-users
Translation are a work in progress and the english version of the book is the most accurate up to date...

You may have better result taking the english version and google translate it... You may consider improving the translation in your native language by forking an submitting PR here : https://github.com/web2py/web2py-book

Thanks

Richard

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Matt Bockman

May 7, 2017, 2:06:55 PM5/7/17
to web2py-users
I'm also new to web2py and I have trouble with the documentation. I'm fairly green with python itself so maybe there are better ways to use the documentation or look for things. Sometimes I don't know what things are called or how to search for them. One thing I liked about developing in C++ with Qt is that I could always find a reference page for whatever class I was using that would give very concrete information about it. Sometimes I'm confused about what type a variable is and I often don't know how to even find out what type it is, let alone look up that type in documentation. I've been at it now for about 20 hours so I don't have too much time under my belt.

I'm still able to build my web application as fast or faster than using no framework with PHP. If I find an improvement to make the documentation I will try to contribute.

Cheers,
Matt

Kiran Subbaraman

May 7, 2017, 8:45:13 PM5/7/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
There is another piece of documentation that you may find useful: http://web2py.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ ... this is the API documentation. It hasn't been updated in a while, but holds good for most of the APIs.
You could also open up a ipython console, and use the python `dir` function, or the `?` at the end of the method to get details of the API. You can use the TAB to help with type-ahead, or code lookup.
For example, try this on the ipython console:
`from gluon import html`
`dir html`
` html.xmlescape?`

I guess you have also tried the search capability in the web2py documentation?
Kiran Subbaraman
http://subbaraman.wordpress.com/about/
--
Resources: