separating installation from application

Terrence Monroe

Oct 11, 2016, 9:54:40 PM10/11/16
to web2py-users
Hello, in looking over the web2py deployment chapter for Unix/Apache, it seems that one is expected to place their applications directly in the applications folder of the web2py distribution.

In other words, there seems to be no easy way to separate the location of the web2py distribution from the applications you wish to use with it.

In my ideal world, I would install web2py in /home/www-data and my applications would be completely separate in /home/terrencebrannon/yadayadayada

Is this type of separation possible?

Marlysson Silva

Oct 13, 2016, 6:57:08 AM10/13/16
to web2py-users
I think ( still don't I used ) that this solved you problem:

Using parameter : -f to the start up web2py webserver to specify folder of your applications.

Marlysson Silva

Oct 13, 2016, 6:58:10 AM10/13/16
to web2py-users
but why you want to separate the applications of framework ?

Massimo Di Pierro

Oct 13, 2016, 9:32:39 PM10/13/16
to web2py-users
Some times I want my applications to resize somewhere else and I do not want all the apps in one subfolder. One reason is that may have a project that is larger and includes a web2py application and want the whole project under version control. The project may include a cordova app, or some other files that do not belong to a web2py app. The project itself may contain more than one web2py app but not web2py itself.

My solution is to simply create a symbolic link under the web2py/applications folder.

In fact for me init is always a symbolic link to another existing app.

Massimo