Issues with Scheduler (suddenly multiple tickers appear)

Boris Aramis Aguilar Rodríguez

Oct 4, 2017, 10:49:22 AM10/4/17
to web2py-users
Hi, I've been recently using lots of tasks scheduled on a server so I had to use several workers to deal with the queue, currently I'm using 45 workers.

Somewhere between 12 hours after starting the 45 workers, suddenly tasks start accumulating in the queue and workers are alive (they report a heartbeat), and the only thing i've noticed is that from the 45 workers more than 1 becomes the ticker (the flag is_ticker is True for several of them), so if I discovered that if I set to False the flag for all workers except for one then tasks start being assigned again correctly, but it happends again after some time.

I'm not sure how to find where the bug is, so that is why I come here asking for your guidance :)

Thanks!

Boris Aramis Aguilar Rodríguez

Oct 10, 2017, 11:06:06 PM10/10/17
to web2py-users
So I narrowed down the issue, it happends when a worker detects he should be the ticker and does an update on all other workers to set them false, an oracle error happens (about deadlock) and it fails, the error "Error coordinating ticker" appears and then it continues, but lines later it COMMITS and makes itself a ticker... and everyone wants to be a ticker and scheduler dies and fire starts and i suffer in pain, so the fix should be removing the catch that prints the message "Error coordinating ticker" so that when the whole operation fails it rolls back and not commits itself to be a ticker.. anyways issue is open now:

https://github.com/web2py/web2py/issues/1787