Alternative IDEs?

sasogeek

Jul 14, 2014, 8:35:43 AM7/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
Are there any alternative IDEs for web2py?
I'm in search of an IDE for web2py that can help me find methods and variables easily. for example autocomplete options to choose from after using a dot operator? the default browser ide lacks quite a number of things in making programming easy. Web2py in itself I believe makes developing applications really really easy, but I believe writing the code should be just as easy the development process itself... if you get what I mean.

António Ramos

Jul 14, 2014, 9:28:51 AM7/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
Sublime Text

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Jim S

Jul 14, 2014, 10:05:15 AM7/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
PyCharm - paid version has web2py integration.

-Jim

sasogeek

Jul 14, 2014, 10:37:29 AM7/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
I just checked out PyCharm and it looks just like IntelliJ for java. Just what I had in mind! :)
Thanks Jim.

Samuel.

António Ramos

Jul 14, 2014, 11:36:52 AM7/14/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
Also webstorm

sasogeek

Jul 15, 2014, 1:19:57 AM7/15/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
I keep getting this error when I try running the web2py.py script from PyCharm.
DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I need help getting it to run. Here's the full traceback.
C:\Python27\python.exe E:/Users/Samuel/Downloads/web2py_src/web2py/web2py.py
No handlers could be found for logger "web2py"
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:/Users/Samuel/Downloads/web2py_src/web2py/web2py.py", line 19, in <module>
    import gluon.widget
  File "E:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from globals import current
  File "E:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\globals.py", line 18, in <module>
    from gluon.streamer import streamer, stream_file_or_304_or_206, DEFAULT_CHUNK_SIZE
  File "E:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\streamer.py", line 15, in <module>
    import rewrite
  File "E:\Users\Samuel\Downloads\web2py_src\web2py\gluon\rewrite.py", line 24, in <module>
    import urllib
  File "C:\csvn\Python25\lib\urllib.py", line 26, in <module>
    import socket
  File "C:\csvn\Python25\lib\socket.py", line 47, in <module>
    import _socket
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

Niphlod

Jul 15, 2014, 6:41:32 AM7/15/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
your setup is seriously messed up (it happens, more likely on windows than linux but it happens)..... you're starting python2.7 and getting an exception from "c:\csvn\python25" .... check your %PATH% .... or learn to use virtualenv ^_^'

sasogeek

Jul 15, 2014, 7:23:54 AM7/15/14
I was wondering why I was getting that error too cos I use the interpreter in C:\Python27\python.exe and I don't know how it ended up in C:\csvn Thanks for letting me know. I'm quite the noob at all this :)

Carlos Zenteno

Jul 15, 2014, 5:25:08 PM7/15/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
I use NINJA IDE.  Very good IDE. Not perfect, not super complete but very good.
I then copy and paste to the web2py web editor.

http://ninja-ide.org/

Louis Amon

Jul 16, 2014, 1:52:14 AM7/16/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
I've been curious about Ninja IDE for a few months now, care to elaborate ?

Is web2py as well-integrated as Django now ? Can it display web2py-rendered web page in the IDE ?
Last time I tried Ninja IDE I was very disappointed because the announced features were far from complete.

Mandar Vaze

Jul 18, 2014, 11:28:35 PM7/18/14
to web...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, July 14, 2014 6:58:51 PM UTC+5:30, Ramos wrote:
Sublime Text

Does ST have web2py integration ?

as sasogeek wrote "help me find methods and variables easily. for example autocomplete options to choose from after using a dot operator?"

Are there any plugins for that ?

I know pycharm paid version has this (community edition doesn't, still it is my IDE of choice)

-Mandar

Rufus

Jul 20, 2014, 1:10:53 AM7/20/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
You might want to check out PyAlaMode, the multifile editor that comes with wxPython.  I think it has
autocomplete, and could be made web2py friendly.  The sources are all there, of course.
The original developer's website www.orbtech.com has gone away, apparently, but the code remains
in the wxpython package.

I've not gotten personal experience with it, but it's worth a look.

Jurgis Pralgauskis

Sep 19, 2016, 7:36:18 AM9/19/16
to web2py-users
Hi, I would like tu wake the topic up :)

What are people mostly using for W2P dev?

From free (unpaid) alternatives  I found  mentioned
  - Sublime https://bitbucket.org/kfog/w2p (not sure about debug?)
  - PyCharm Community edition populate projects with fake imports
  - Aptana (PyDev) ?
  - VS Code?

Kiran Subbaraman

Sep 19, 2016, 8:16:47 AM9/19/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
Base Eclipse (just the "Platform Runtime Binary") with Pydev.
I import Web2py as a python project, and reference it from other development projects. Makes it easy to browse code, and also (if really required) to run the app+web2py in debug mode and debug from within eclipse.

Works fine for me.
Kiran Subbaraman
http://subbaraman.wordpress.com/about/

Philip Kilner

Sep 19, 2016, 9:56:07 AM9/19/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On 19/09/16 12:36, Jurgis Pralgauskis wrote:
> What are people mostly using for W2P dev?

I'm currently using Atom and Cloud 9.

To be honest, I'm getting on better with Cloud 9, but need to the paid
version for my use case. It looks as though I will go for that and go
100% Chromebook soon.

I'd be curious to know if anyone else in the web2py community is going
this route? (All Chromebook I mean, rather Cloud 9 specifically)

--

Regards,

PhilK

'a bell is a cup...until it is struck'