web2py_osx on Sierra (OSX 10.12)

Scott Hunter

Oct 19, 2016, 12:17:45 PM10/19/16
to web2py-users
When I download & run a fresh copy of the web2py_osx app, I get the usual warnings about it not being from a known source (b/c it is unsigned, I presume).  In previous versions, when I told the Security System Preference panel to open it anyway, it did, and all was well.  But now, soon after it launches, I get an all-but-useless error alert "web2py error" with the choices of Show Console (which reveals nothing to my eye) or Terminate.

This is happening on 2 separate machines running Sierra.

I'm at a loss as to what, if anything, I can do about it.

- Scott

Scott Hunter

Oct 25, 2016, 10:36:12 AM10/25/16
to web2py-users
Am I to interpret from the deafening silence that I am the only one seeing this problem?  Even if that is the case, any ideas how I can resolve it, or where I might go to find any?

- Scott

Roberto Perdomo

Oct 25, 2016, 10:39:41 AM10/25/16
to web...@googlegroups.com

I'm using Web2py 2.14.6 in sierra and cannot reproduce your errors.

Can you show the errors or warnings?

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Scott Hunter

Oct 25, 2016, 12:55:32 PM10/25/16
to web2py-users
Sure, but there's not much to see.

When I launch the app (after Safari, presumably, has unzipped it), I get:

I click Open, and (after a little wait) am presented with:

If there is something relevant in the Console, it isn't obvious to me.

- Scott
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to web2py+un...@googlegroups.com.

Massimo Di Pierro

Oct 29, 2016, 10:42:08 PM10/29/16
to web2py-users
I would recommend you download Anaconda python 2.7 and run python from source

If it also fails, it may give more info.

Scott Hunter

Oct 30, 2016, 8:09:58 AM10/30/16
to web2py-users
I downloaded a fresh copy of the source version, ran it using the default python in OS X, and all ran fine.

I installed Anaconda python 2.7, ran the source version using it, and all ran fine.

However, I was able to run the OS X version by executing the Content/MacOS/web2py executable inside of web2py.app via the command line.

Then I tried executing that same OS X version by double-clicking the app; it presented me with a different dialog: that it was from an unknown developer, and would not open it.  But I could open it from the Security panel of System Preferences, and it worked fine.

I next tried to download the same .zip file from a different server (as my ultimate goal is to distribute my appliance via such an executable).  That exhibited the problematic behavior that I have reported previously.

Lastly, I re-downloaded the zipped-app from the web2py site; opening that (via double-clicking) is now experiencing the behavior previously reported.  But I *can* open it via the command line as described above.  And after doing so, it will open via double-click.

So the "source" of the problem seems to have been trying to download from a different server.  WHY that would cause a problem, I haven't a clue.  But I could get around it by adding a script to open the execrable directly.

- Scott

Jared McFarland

Nov 21, 2016, 10:42:54 AM11/21/16
to web2py-users
I've also run into this. I'm on macOS 10.12.1

When I try to run it, I get the same web2py error dialog: http://take.ms/IIXG5

Here are the details from the console: http://take.ms/tTTgG

"Detected missing constraints for <private>.  It cannot be placed because there are not enough constraints to fully define the size and origin. Add the missing constraints, or set translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints=YES and constraints will be generated for you. If this view is laid out manually on macOS 10.12 and later, you may choose to not call [super layout] from your override. Set a breakpoint on DETECTED_MISSING_CONSTRAINTS to debug. This error will only be logged once."

Massimo Di Pierro

Nov 25, 2016, 11:18:46 PM11/25/16
to web2py-users
Thanks for reporting this. Do you mind opening a ticket?

ba...@seas.upenn.edu

Dec 30, 2016, 4:32:27 PM12/30/16
to web2py-users
Could you please give the Terminal command for this? Sorry, unclear to me since I only used the GUI in the past. Thank you.

Jared McFarland

Dec 31, 2016, 9:54:08 AM12/31/16
to web2py-users

Larry Weinberg

Jan 2, 2017, 2:52:37 PM1/2/17
to web2py-users
I see this happening too.  After allowing the app to run,  web2py stops working and the console errors look like this.  Is sqlite the problem?

error 11:49:43.484984 -0800 mtmd Can't trash .MobileBackups while MTM Snapshot Handler is running!
error 11:49:43.599957 -0800 com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent getattrlist returned -1 Invalid argument
error 11:49:43.625833 -0800 geodMachServiceBridge 22.1 Asked to free space for a volume we don't control.
error 11:49:43.627489 -0800 com.apple.quicklook.ThumbnailsAgent SQLite[1]: <private>
error 11:49:44.285813 -0800 web2py Detected missing constraints for <private>.  It cannot be placed because there are not enough constraints to fully define the size and origin. Add the missing constraints, or set translatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints=YES and constraints will be generated for you. If this view is laid out manually on macOS 10.12 and later, you may choose to not call [super layout] from your override. Set a breakpoint on DETECTED_MISSING_CONSTRAINTS to debug. This error will only be logged once.