How to create a front end for an external API?

greenpoise

Oct 19, 2016, 5:42:52 PM10/19/16
to web2py-users
First, I am new to API. I did read and went through the web2py book section of API but I am still a bit lost. Is there a good example for this? Am I asking/searching the right way?

thanks

greenpoise

Oct 19, 2016, 6:41:34 PM10/19/16
to web2py-users
RESTFUL API I meant to write

Niphlod

Oct 20, 2016, 9:15:54 AM10/20/16
to web2py-users
before wanting something that helps you implementing something.... do you have a minimal idea of what you want to happen with your API ?

greenpoise

Oct 21, 2016, 10:42:37 PM10/21/16
to web2py-users
Want to pull some data. There is no option to write, just pull data.

Dave S

Oct 22, 2016, 1:53:46 AM10/22/16
to web2py-users
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 7:42:37 PM UTC-7, greenpoise wrote:
Want to pull some data. There is no option to write, just pull data.

Do you have a representation for this data?

A couple of examples of simple data might be

1) a list of deposits and withdrawals, which could be represented by a single table in a conventional database.

2) a list of locations where you've installed a vending machine

3) a series of temperature readings from a sensor

Slightly more complicated, where 1 list might point to another list for some information:

1a) a list of deposits and withdrawals for various accounts, with the table containing a reference to another table that describes the accounts.

4) a list of courses, a list of textbooks, and a list of teachers.
(A list of students would be easy to add to this example.)

5) a list of invoices, a list of shipping addresses, a list of sales tax rates for different jurisdictions.

6) a list of patients' prescriptions, a list of drug safety information, a list of patients, and a list of doctors.
(a list of insurance companies would be easy to add to this example)

7) An inventory list of shipments received and shipments sent, a list of items that can be ordered, a list vendors, a list of customers, and a list of shipping companies.

(Conventional databases are good at data that can be in lists)

If you think of these examples as patterns, does one or more of the patterns match the pattern of your data?
(I didn't really present many patterns, but it's after dinner so thinking is slow ....)

/dps