isomorphic rendering ... a possible future for web2py?

Pbop

Dec 1, 2017, 9:54:06 AM12/1/17
to web2py-users
Here is an interesting read for the community.

The money quote is: "The reason to write fancy frontends isn’t because it’s faster (it’s not), it’s to decouple use actions from pageviews."

Enter a new term for at least my vocabulary: isomorphic rendering.

While isomorphic rendering is bleeding edge at the moment, if the modern web app development winds are shifting, it begs the question as to whether embracing client-side frameworks is just keeping up with the Jones and if there is not a real opportunity to re-invent web2py in a more profound way.

A criticism, fair or not, is web2py has not really moved forward other than incremental improvements. I personally would prefer to keep development in one ecosystem as much as possible. As cool as Vue.js is, it would be super cooler (and a better use of developer time) to see gluon extended to support client-side forms, views, data-tables, visualizations, local databases, database synchronization, dish washers, coffee makers and floor sweepers to be declared in web2py / python to produce client-side JS. Transpiling in small blocks is fine, but there are other ways it might be done.

Embrace JS frameworks or radically rethink gluon (or is that not practical)? Thoughts?

Dave S

Dec 2, 2017, 2:20:10 AM12/2/17
to web2py-users

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 6:54:06 AM UTC-8, Pbop wrote:
Here is an interesting read for the community.

Yes, it is.   I'm not yet ready to comment, though ... slowly absorbing.

/dps