WARNING:Rocket.Errors.Port8000:Listener started when not ready.

Heather Dawe

Oct 5, 2015, 8:25:29 AM10/5/15
to web2py-users

Earlier today I had to force a restart of my mac. After restart I attempted to start web2py from a terminal session as I have done many times before

sudo python web2py.py -a 'password' -i 1.0.0.1 -p 8000

I got the following error

ERROR:Rocket.Errors.Port8000:Socket 1.0.0.1:8000 in use by other process and it won't share.

WARNING:Rocket.Errors.Port8000:Listener started when not ready.

When from terminal I attempt to see what is using port 8000 I see it is not in use and when I try to start web2py using a different port (also not in use) I get the same error.

I need to launch web2py from the terminal as root otherwise it points to an incorrect version of pymongo (following the advice in this thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/web2py/SPVDQPYBxKI) so I can't launch from the front-end. Despite this, when I do try to start web2p from the front-end is hangs with no error message.

I have searched for a solution to this but there is nothing specific to this issue. I think the forced restart of my mac caused web2py to see port 8000 as being in use even though it isn't - I can start other local servers using it.

Thank you,

Heather

Leonel Câmara

Oct 5, 2015, 10:01:18 AM10/5/15
to web2py-users
You're using the wrong IP address

sudo python web2py.py -a 'password' -i 1.0.0.1 -p 8000

It should be

sudo python web2py.py -a 'password' -i 127.0.0.1 -p 8000

I think we should call the ability to catch this kind of mistakes quickly "programmer's eye" or something. Seriously the amount of hours I've lost to this kind of stuff in my youth before I developed it is innumerable.

Heather Dawe

Oct 6, 2015, 1:04:48 AM10/6/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leonel,

Many thanks for pointing that out it worked a treat. Just to further my newbie questions - using ip 127.0.0.1 always worked when I previously started the server and, now I have used your advice to use ip 1.0.0.1 to get the server going again, when I stop and start it 127.0.0.1 now works again. To get it going in the first place (using ip 127.0.0.1) I followed the web2py book and advice from this forum. Anyhow my (naive) question is why?

Many thanks again,
Heather

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Leonel Câmara

Oct 6, 2015, 3:55:27 AM10/6/15
to web2py-users
No no you got it wrong my advice was to use 127.0.0.1 you were using 1.0.0.1 by mistake and that's why you were having problems.

You should use 127.0.0.1 because that's a special IP that's used as the loopback address and it always points to the machine where you are.