web2py resources

Anthony

Apr 30, 2012, 3:49:41 PM4/30/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
Most web2py resources can be found on web2py.com, but here are some Google Groups topics identifying additional resources:

Massimo Di Pierro

May 1, 2012, 3:33:50 PM5/1/12
to web...@googlegroups.com

puercoespin

May 3, 2012, 5:13:56 AM5/3/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
Maybe it can include  blogs about web2py from the users of web2py-users group, exemple Omi Chiba, Bruno or Martin Mulone, (to cite a few).

Massimo Di Pierro

May 3, 2012, 10:39:06 AM5/3/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
Please append here.

newnomad

May 3, 2012, 8:20:28 PM5/3/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
For those without any prior python knowledge, is it useful or essential to first exercise it, using the learnpythonthehardway book for example? Or would it confuse, and is the advise to dive directly into web2py?

Anthony

May 3, 2012, 9:46:35 PM5/3/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Thursday, May 3, 2012 8:20:28 PM UTC-4, newnomad wrote:
For those without any prior python knowledge, is it useful or essential to first exercise it, using the learnpythonthehardway book for example? Or would it confuse, and is the advise to dive directly into web2py?

I think you can dive directly into web2py (especially if you go through the Python chapter in the book), but it's certainly a good idea to gain some expertise in Python more generally as well.

Anthony

Larry Wapnitsky

May 9, 2012, 3:32:37 PM5/9/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
What about for some of the jquery/JSON specific ideas?  What recommendations do you have for those of us who are clueless in those factions? :)

puercoespin

May 20, 2012, 7:34:34 AM5/20/12
to web...@googlegroups.com

El jueves, 3 de mayo de 2012 16:39:06 UTC+2, Massimo Di Pierro escribió:
Please append here.

lukedc

Sep 1, 2012, 1:26:02 AM9/1/12
to web...@googlegroups.com
This is a very useful topic.

I have found this site to be very useful. It is for beginners:

Fabiano

May 4, 2013, 6:38:01 PM5/4/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
This thread has a very useful collection references and resources.

I've seen a lot of great stuff on this list but over time it gets harder to dig the mailing due the high amount of messages. I understand somethings don't fit on the main website and putting things in there requires some effort and overhead (review, maintenance, access, etc.).

Have you guys considered using a wiki for this kind of stuff? I think this kind of information could easily be placed in there and maintained by the community.

The Google Code project hosting where the Issues tracker is already has a wiki which could be used, so there is no need to setup one.

What you think of this suggestion?

Fabiano.

Anthony

May 4, 2013, 7:03:31 PM5/4/13
You can post recipes and articles here: http://www.web2pyslices.com. There was at least one wiki in the past, but it became neglected and ultimately abandoned.

Anthony

Marian Siwiak

Jul 16, 2013, 5:09:54 PM7/16/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know who runs web2pyslices? Something has gone wrong and it issues tickets... Maybe it's worth to mention it to the admin.

On Sunday, 5 May 2013 01:03:06 UTC+2, Anthony wrote:
You can post recipes and articles here: http://www.web2pyslices.com. There was at least one wiki in the past, but it became neglected and ultimately abandoned.

Anthony

Massimo Di Pierro

Jul 17, 2013, 10:55:47 AM7/17/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I believe Bruno Rocha does.

Alan Etkin

Jul 17, 2013, 11:27:38 AM7/17/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
I believe Bruno Rocha does.

On Tuesday, 16 July 2013 16:09:54 UTC-5, Marian Siwiak wrote:
Does anyone know who runs web2pyslices? Something has gone wrong and it issues tickets... Maybe it's worth to mention it to the admin.

Up and running now. Please check it. We have been adding some features for preventing spam and also the new package database (web2py reusable projects). I will post the changes in a new thread.

Niphlod

Jul 24, 2013, 6:07:50 PM7/24/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
another resource: web2py's roadmap : https://trello.com/b/d3aqBbBl/web2py-roadmap

Andreas Wienes

Oct 29, 2013, 9:35:27 AM10/29/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
This could help for the very first orientation http://learn-web2py.com/.

Dave S

Oct 30, 2013, 6:54:17 PM10/30/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 6:35:27 AM UTC-7, Andreas Wienes wrote:
This could help for the very first orientation http://learn-web2py.com/.

I like it!

You might want to take a look at
to choose a tutorial for Hg.  I believe the red-bean book is being updated as an Mercurial project, but I don't think they've released an "RC1" yet.

Also, note that Web2Py admin includes hooks into Mercurial ... it finds the installed Hg on your system and provides 1-button commits.  (There might be an issue with find Mercurial if you are using TortoiseHg on Windows ... more investigation needed.)

BTW, I've taken the liberty of adding Web2Py to the list on this Mercurial Wiki page:

And this is another good source control introduction:
(Examples in git, mercurial, and Eric's employer's system)

/dps

Andreas Wienes

Oct 31, 2013, 3:35:04 PM10/31/13
to web...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your feedback. I'll check the different Mercurial guides and update my website, if I find a better solution.

Massimo Di Pierro

Aug 31, 2014, 12:15:10 AM8/31/14
to web...@googlegroups.com

nick name

Sep 7, 2014, 2:35:00 PM9/7/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
Message has been deleted

Gael Princivalle

Oct 7, 2014, 5:35:27 AM10/7/14
to web...@googlegroups.com
Got it:
http://vimeo.com/27478796

Il giorno lunedì 6 ottobre 2014 10:35:18 UTC+2, Gael Princivalle ha scritto:
Hello.

Is there a video tutorial that talk about the scheduler ?

Thanks.

Alfonso Serra

Dec 6, 2015, 12:07:44 AM12/6/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
web2py Best Practices by martin Mulone translated to english by me.

Download "web2py Best Practices.pdf"

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 6, 2015, 6:40:51 PM12/6/15
to web2py-users
Nice, when did Martin write the original version? I do not remember seeing this before.

Alfonso Serra

Dec 6, 2015, 8:34:40 PM12/6/15
to web2py-users
No idea, i just know that is pure gold. A set of bests practices to structure your application.
I found this in a post in this user group. Someone was pointing someone else to the original pdf in order to answer a question.

Alessio Varalta

Dec 7, 2015, 6:04:35 AM12/7/15
to web2py-users
I think is helpful to report this pdf document in web2py overview becase for example the part of class don't exist in this moment on the site guide and for example I search this information in these days

Anthony

Dec 7, 2015, 9:26:59 AM12/7/15
to web2py-users
On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 6:04:35 AM UTC-5, Alessio Varalta wrote:
I think is helpful to report this pdf document in web2py overview becase for example the part of class don't exist in this moment on the site guide and for example I search this information in these days

Note, there's nothing special or web2py-specific about the classes shown in that document (i.e., they are just straightforward Python classes that happen to manipulate web2py objects within their methods). Furthermore, instances of the classes do not give you access to either DAL Table objects or individual records, so their usefulness is limited (in other words, this is nothing like an ORM). The classes could just as easily be implemented as simple functions. More advanced (ORM-like) functionality is possible via built-in DAL features, such as virtual/method fields and table methods.

Anthony

Matheus Cardoso

Dec 7, 2015, 1:11:41 PM12/7/15
to web2py-users
Is there a place to gather all this stuff to centralize and make easy to be found for anyone? Sometimes, the original documentation e even the source (no "Luke" for you) can't help at all, specially for newcomers. If the answer is no, I think a github repository would be easy to create and maintained by community.

Richard Vézina

Dec 7, 2015, 1:17:41 PM12/7/15
to web2py-users
I thought recently to do just that, I mean gather stuff from good thread on the mailing list and pile them somewhere so they don't get lost and we can get back to them more easilly...

Anyway you find convenient for you is good, so someone else can then start from more structured source of data and make even more reliable ressources...

Richard

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Matheus Cardoso

Dec 7, 2015, 3:59:31 PM12/7/15
to web2py-users
So, I just created this: https://github.com/matheuscas/web2py-resources. Shall we?

Anthony

Dec 7, 2015, 4:07:28 PM12/7/15
to web2py-users
What do you envision putting there that wouldn't go here: http://www.web2pyslices.com

Richard Vézina

Dec 7, 2015, 4:48:38 PM12/7/15
to web2py-users
There is also : www.web2pyref.com

@Anthony web2py-slice is definitively a good place though I remember Massimo's mention that Bruno want to stop maintaining it??

Richard

Massimo Di Pierro

Dec 8, 2015, 12:15:46 AM12/8/15
to web2py-users
Bruno tried to pass the domain to me but godaddy prevented us. Not sure what the status is but I will talk to Bruno.

massimo
Richard

Matheus Cardoso

Dec 9, 2015, 7:28:20 AM12/9/15
to web2py-users
I just asked if there was one place to gather resources about web2py and when Richard shared some similiar thoughts, I did a search on github and a quick search on Google and couldn't nothing related (web2slices I already know, but I'll get there), even www.web2pyref.com. So I created a repository to start something about it. I think web2slices is outdated, not friendly and a bit messy. I get more good solutions from stackoverflow or source code rather search something on there. My envision is build something like:
But if community thinks that web2ref is the way to go or start, so let's do it, but we have to spread the word and make it really open to collaboration.

Alfonso Serra

Jan 23, 2016, 3:03:48 PM1/23/16
to web...@googlegroups.com
web2py video bookmarks

Massimo's 4 web2py videos are 11 hours long so its hard to find specifics subjects.
With this tool you can create VLC Player bookmarks which helps to quickly find any subject.

demo video

vlclist.zip

How to use it:

Easy way:
- Download and install vlc player from http://www.videolan.org
- Download all 4 web2py videos from vimeo with any browser plugin
     https://vimeo.com/user315328
- Rename the videos as:
    Web development with Python and web2py Part1.mp4
    Web development with Python and web2py Part2.mp4
    Web development with Python and web2py Part3.mp4
    Web development with Python and web2py Part4.mp4
- copy playlist.xspf to the same folder as the videos
- open playlist.xpsf with VLC player
- Press Ctrl + B to display the bookmarks or go to Playback -> Custom Bookmarks

Hard way:
(generate playlist.xpsf with your custom bookmarks)
- Download and Install python 2.7 from www.python.org
- Download all 4 web2py videos
- copy vlclist.py to the same folder as the videos
- edit bookmarks.txt with your own bookmarks
- run python vlclist.py -b bookmarks.txt
a playlist.xpsf will be generated with your custom bookmarks.

Cheers

Literate Aspects

Mar 26, 2016, 2:27:42 PM3/26/16
to web2py-users
Hello, I found another awesome tutorial for beginners to supplement Massimo's 5 series videos as a preliminary first steps video for beginners.

As a person moving from an old Delphi history to web frameworks and having discovered the incredible contribution of Massimo - realizing that the BARE BONES initial understanding seems difficult, but... along comes MIKA...

Check it out!
https://www.udemy.com/web-engineering-with-python-and-web2py/learn/v4/content

Created by Mika Sjöman, For now, the course is free on Udemy since it is under development.
This course is about building web apps by learning web engineering and Python programming at the same time. We will be using a framework called Web2py which was created to make learning programming easy and enjoyable. But Web2py has also become a popular framework because it has turned out to be fast, scalable and that it allows for extreme developer productivity.

On Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 12:33:50 PM UTC-7, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
Web2py cheatsheet

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18065445/Tmp/web2py_cheatsheet.pdf

ahuja...@gmail.com

May 24, 2016, 4:42:34 PM5/24/16
to web2py-users
maybe you all want to know some easy steps to protect from phishing
Message has been deleted

Alfonso Serra

Sep 12, 2016, 10:12:04 AM9/12/16
to web2py-users
Another tool for Firefox that may help to develop your applications.

This AutoHotKey script reloads your browser and removes the repost Confirmation dialog whenever you press Ctrl + S.
So if you save your code in any editor Firefox will show the changes.

Havent tested for Chrome but it may work if you edit the script and replace "Firefox" for "Google Chrome".

Also Control + t sets the active window on top of any others.

You will have to install  https://autohotkey.com/
Download the script attached to this post.
Run the script livereload.ahk
livereload.ahk

António Ramos

Sep 13, 2016, 12:11:27 PM9/13/16