web2py static files and bootstrap 3

Guilherme Rosa

Mar 3, 2015, 12:06:21 PM3/3/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to create a new app in web2py which will use bootstrap 3. I tried simply changing the bootstrap.min css and js but that caused a mess.

I have read that nothing in web2py really relies in a UI framework, except maybe SQLFORM, which has styles for bootstrap3, so I assume that all I really need to do is redo the layout.html from the ground up.

So here is my question: Which static files are must have for web2py?

For CSS we have:
bootstrap.min.css - which needs to be replaced with the new one
bootstrap-responsive.min.css - no idea what this is...
calendar - I assume this is used for Fields that are datetime, does it require bootstrap2?
web2py.css - This I assume is a must-have
web2py_bootstrap.css - How necessary is this?
web2py_bootstrap_nojs.css -  no idea what this is...

For JS we have:
bootstrap.min.js - which needs to be replaced with the new one
calendar.js - Again, for Fields I think
dd_belatedpng - No idea....
jquery - Duh, though I'd rather point to CDN
modernizr.custom.js - Again, no idea...
share.js - This I know I don't need, as this application is for internal use
web2py.js - Assume it is a must have
web2py_bootstrap - Seems to only affect menus, so not a big deal

So there we have it, if you could shed light on what files need to be edit to work with bootstrap 3 and help me understand what each one is responsible for, I am at a loss.

Let me thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Richard Vézina

Mar 3, 2015, 1:04:39 PM3/3/15
to web2py-users
Hello Guilherme,

Are you aware of wecolme optimized for bs3 : https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/9ipT2xkXMhc/yi7sF2Uzm7MJ

?

You may consider just starting from this app instead of try to do everything by yourself... Or you can get alot of inspiration from it with diff tools.

Richard

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Guilherme Rosa

Mar 4, 2015, 2:59:28 PM3/4/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
I have seen it, yes. Thanks Richard. Unfortunatly when I tried to upload this into the admin interface as either a a packed application or as a layout template it fails....

Even if I could get that w2p file to work, I'd really like to know which css and js are extra and which are must have.

Simon Marshall

Mar 4, 2015, 2:59:27 PM3/4/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
i would also like to know this please

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 4, 2015, 3:11:18 PM3/4/15
to web...@googlegroups.com
speaking for bootstrap2

bootstrap.min.css - which needs to be replaced with the new one [REQUIRED]
bootstrap-responsive.min.css - no idea what this is... [OPTIONAL]
calendar - I assume this is used for Fields that are datetime, does it require bootstrap2? [NEEDED BUT NOT BASED ON BOOTSTRAP]
web2py.css - This I assume is a must-have [MUST HAVE]
web2py_bootstrap.css - How necessary is this? [MUST HAVE, MAY NEED EDIT FOR BS3]
web2py_bootstrap_nojs.css -  no idea what this is... [ME NEITHER, my understanding is that this is required to make BS2 menus work if JS is disabled]

For JS we have:
bootstrap.min.js - which needs to be replaced with the new one [REQUIRED]
calendar.js - Again, for Fields I think [REQUIRED]
dd_belatedpng - No idea.... [to support PNG transparency on IE6]
jquery - Duh, though I'd rather point to CDN [YES unless running locally]
modernizr.custom.js - Again, no idea... [to support older browsers]
share.js - This I know I don't need, as this application is for internal use [OPTIONAL]
web2py.js - Assume it is a must have [MUST HAVE, CSS independent]
web2py_bootstrap - Seems to only affect menus, so not a big deal [ONLY MENUS]