web2pyslices

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 21, 2017, 3:53:16 PM3/21/17
to web2py-users
web2pyslices is becoming hard to maintain. Right now the best solution is to create a github repo and move all the recipes into issues. We will deprecate by closing them. People with gihub accounts can post and comment issues/recipes. Unless you have a better solution, this will be done within the next week.

One sideffect is that we will lose some information about authorship of the recipes and the comments. We will add a notice "created by {...}" but the {...} name will be the web2pyslices username and that may not mean anything in the gihub context.

At this I do not have a better solution but please share your thoughts.

Relsi Maron

Mar 21, 2017, 4:33:55 PM3/21/17
to web2py-users

Hi Massimo, what is the major difficult to maintenance? How we can help?

Ovidio Marinho

Mar 21, 2017, 7:29:22 PM3/21/17
to web...@googlegroups.com

It It would be very important that you stay in a job with web2py, since we are using the tool to make systems and we do not have a repository developed with web2py. be very important that you stay in a web2py job, because we are using the tool to make systems and we do not have a repository developed with web2py.
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

                   http://itjp.net.br
                     http://itjp.net.br
          Ovidio Marinho Falcao Neto
                 ovid...@gmail.com

                            Brasil

Massimo Di Pierro

Mar 21, 2017, 8:10:17 PM3/21/17
to web2py-users
The problem is that web2pyslices is based on Movuca and I do not believe Movuca is supported any more. If anybody wants to "adopt" web2pyslices as is, the code is available. If anybody wants to develop a new CMS for web2pyslices, the data can be converted.

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Mar 21, 2017, 8:32:49 PM3/21/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
What is the main problem with the actual web2py slices? is the old unmaintainable movuca code or something else?

I think that web2py needs a facelift, a new modern-look main site and a new web2pyslices site is needed, but I think that the github idea is a step back...

Some time ago I did an initial redesign proposal (https://github.com/cccaballero/web2py-examples-proposal) with very little feedback, and in some post I commented that we could build a new community driven web2pyslices site. I still think that it is the way to go.

Greetings.

El 21/03/17 a las 15:53, Massimo Di Pierro escribió:
web2pyslices is becoming hard to maintain. Right now the best solution is to create a github repo and move all the recipes into issues. We will deprecate by closing them. People with gihub accounts can post and comment issues/recipes. Unless you have a better solution, this will be done within the next week.

One sideffect is that we will lose some information about authorship of the recipes and the comments. We will add a notice "created by {...}" but the {...} name will be the web2pyslices username and that may not mean anything in the gihub context.

At this I do not have a better solution but please share your thoughts.

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com
---

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Mar 21, 2017, 8:53:36 PM3/21/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi Massimo, I have a base CMS that I have not published because has been very difficult to convert it into modules/plugins (right now is used in the  www.daxslab.com site), if someone else have not any better option I can give a try, but I can't start working to make a proposal until next month.

Greetings.

Kiran Subbaraman

Mar 22, 2017, 12:23:40 AM3/22/17
to web2py-users
I agree that the managing web2pyslices as issues may be one way to go.A couple of options that I have in mind

Option 1 / bl.ocks.org
But there is another idea that I have been considering for sometime...
I follow the d3js community once in a while, and they have this nice way to contribute and expand on the examples created using d3js. These examples are hosted on http://bl.ocks.org. If an example is created on Gist, and follows a prescribed template, then it is hosted as an example on bl.ocks.org.

The template and process is defined here: https://bl.ocks.org/-/about

The work that the bl.ocks.org application does, needs to be replicated in some form by another application in the web2py world (This has similar problems - hosting, and computation power, etc)

Option 2 / Gists, with PR based list

The reason am plugging for Gist based solutions is that it makes contribution to that Gist, or improvement in code a possibility (however remote).

Carlos Costa

Mar 22, 2017, 7:42:49 AM3/22/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to help maintain it. And I vote for a web2py solution.
Not using would let us in a "shoemaker's son always goes barefoot" situation.
I think this is embarrassing.

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Carlos J. Costa
Cientista da Computação  | BS Computer Science
Esp. Gestão em Telecom   |
PgC Telecom Mangement
<º))><

Richard Vézina

Mar 22, 2017, 10:30:06 AM3/22/17
to web2py-users
Just an idea, need coding though, maybe we could create a basic app where the slice has to be a working example a la fiddle (web2py-fiddle). I know it difficult and involve a lot of security, sandboxing, etc, but it would be interresting to have demo of slice, that make sure we have the exact code to make it works...

Richard

Richard Vézina

Mar 22, 2017, 10:44:07 AM3/22/17
to web2py-users
Hello Carlos,

I didn't see pass your example proposal, but having to install it make it difficult to get feedback I guess... Maybe you could set tempory live demo on python anywhere for instance or anywhere else...

Richard

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 3:28 PM, Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz <carlos.c...@cfg.jovenclub.cu> wrote:
[...]

Carlos Costa

Mar 22, 2017, 5:43:56 PM3/22/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the web2py fiddle idea.
Maybe it could be run on an entirely Python sandbox. There are some libs available to accomplish this.

Richard Vézina

Mar 23, 2017, 10:01:07 AM3/23/17
to web2py-users
If this is possible without headache it would be wonderful to me...

There is also another things that could be done, as we had discussed that in the pass I mean move away from google group... Recently there is gitter (https://gitter.im/) that have been open sourced, so we could, if gitter sufficient for proper web2py community communications, use it instead of google group...

Richard

Anthony

Mar 23, 2017, 6:15:04 PM3/23/17
to web2py-users
There is also another things that could be done, as we had discussed that in the pass I mean move away from google group... Recently there is gitter (https://gitter.im/) that have been open sourced, so we could, if gitter sufficient for proper web2py community communications, use it instead of google group...

Gitter is for chat -- it would not be a good replacement for Google Groups. If we wanted to move off of Google Groups, something like Discourse, NodeBB, or Flarum would be more appropriate alternatives.

Anthony

Richard Vézina

Mar 24, 2017, 10:57:36 AM3/24/17
to web2py-users
That what I thought, but I wasn't so sure as I never used gitter...

So let fucos over web2py-fiddle if there is some taker to make such thing happen...

Richard

Carlos Costa

Mar 24, 2017, 11:36:14 AM3/24/17
to web2py-users
What about this: http://www.web2pyref.com/
Who owns it?
Could we migrate slices data to it?

Carlos Costa

Mar 24, 2017, 11:43:30 AM3/24/17
to web2py-users
About fiddle, I think we can easily do the view and controller part.
But what about the other parts like models, modules, database, etc?
Would it be really necessary or have a reliable solution?

I think we could do only view, controller and model.
For the model maybe we should have an interface to build and and fill sample (virtual) tables.
But I don´t know how to do it without the need a lot of HD.
Maybe a virtual database driver could be implemented for DAL, for runing small tables in memory only or simply use sqlite temporary files.

Richard Vézina

Mar 24, 2017, 12:24:45 PM3/24/17
to web2py-users
For db, we can use sqlite in memory, so we don't have to keep db file with model already defined that could make the app heavy...

Oups you mention it in the last sentence...

Richard

Marlysson Silva

Mar 25, 2017, 11:39:38 AM3/25/17
to web2py-users
Awesome. This is in github?

Ben Lawrence

Mar 26, 2017, 3:39:06 PM3/26/17
to web2py-users
Please. Lets not make something. Lets just use the web2py book and each slice having a repo in GitHub. I beg you.

On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 8:39:38 AM UTC-7, Marlysson Silva wrote:
Awesome.  This is in github?

Marlysson Silva

Mar 26, 2017, 7:26:45 PM3/26/17
to web2py-users
An approach as web2pyref would be interesting

Kiran Subbaraman

Mar 27, 2017, 12:20:47 AM3/27/17
to web...@googlegroups.com
Agree with this - not build something for the web2pyslices - it's not going to be maintained consistently ... the current issue that web2pyslices faces anyway.
This is the reason I recommended a Github based solution (combination of gists / repos, with the list of these things maintained in a github repo. Look at the option 2 in this thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py/-Ida49pMSHQ/nBGe2vY6BwAJ

Kiran Subbaraman
http://subbaraman.wordpress.com/about/
--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Marlysson Silva

Mar 27, 2017, 7:27:33 AM3/27/17
to web2py-users
And the stackoverflow documentation?

http://stackoverflow.com/documentation/web2py/topics

Richard Vézina

Mar 27, 2017, 2:56:09 PM3/27/17
to web2py-users
To my understanding issue with web2py slice is that it is base on Mucova (https://github.com/rochacbruno/Movuca) which is a web2py based CMS not maintain anymore. To me, the problem is that web2py slice was more an effort of social network then a web2py showcase...

I can understand the reluctance of web2py fiddle approach...

I think we need a better web2py showcase solution...

For my part, I am not going to trying each un-maintain github repo to see what the "slice" look like first to see if it really answer my need then make sure the code works. I mean a bunch of slice repos without demo will not be that usefull as you have to work a lot before even know if it works and suit your needs.

How can you make sure that all the slice in github are maintained up-to-date with the latest web2py version? How do you levrage the community work force (improve/fix slices)?

I think having a proper showcase, without even have to login to create slice would be nice to share web2py code snippet js plugins integration etc. If it was a web2py app you could have a mechanism that let you know which "slice" stop working after an upgrade of web2py as a kind of integration tests you can analyse web2py ticket for that and notice author.

With a bunch of github-slice repo, you don't have authorship, you have to fork improve PR back the commit you made, then wait the author to accept the change, who is gonna do that to 30-50 repo that may have the same syntax typo because some backward unpromise compatibilty issue?

web2py-fiddle could be integrate as to web2py as welcome app or integrated to it somehow...

Richard

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Richard Vézina

Mar 27, 2017, 2:57:39 PM3/27/17
to web2py-users
Notice nothing prevent somebody to use githud either way...

Richard

Carlos Cesar Caballero Díaz

Mark Graves

Apr 1, 2017, 12:42:08 AM4/1/17
to web2py-users
I'd be happy to convert it to something.  I can write a quick scraper which would maintain whatever info is publicly available and upload it as static files to github or something.