DBAPI

Massimo DiPierro

Jul 7, 2016, 9:17:32 AM7/7/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

In the spirit of moving more logic to the client I have been working on this:

https://experts4solutions.com/collection2/default/examples

https://github.com/mdipierro/collection2

This is not a standard procotol. It is inspired by collection+json but the latter is too verbose for my taste.

The idea is to give the DBAPI object the ability to acquire a form template and a grid template and generate its own form which can work with or without ajax.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Does this file belong to pydal? it not really web2py specific.

Massimo

Anthony

Jul 7, 2016, 10:33:21 AM7/7/16
to web2py-developers
Looks interesting. Is this meant to replace parse_as_rest and/or smart_query?

Anthony

Richard Vézina

Jul 7, 2016, 10:56:57 AM7/7/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Yes interestring... Where does it stands related to w3?

Richard

Niphlod

Jul 7, 2016, 3:31:46 PM7/7/16
to web2py-developers
the concept is similar to other various trials (data() with crud, rtf, service.json, api() in default.py through hypermedia) ... let's hope it sticks :P

BTW: I'd refrain from calling it DBAPI to distinghish better from PEP249-related "term".

Massimo DiPierro

Jul 7, 2016, 5:12:21 PM7/7/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

DALAPI?

DALPI?

DAPI?

APIDAL?

APIMaker?

APIGenerator?

APIHandler?

Massimo DiPierro

Jul 7, 2016, 5:13:20 PM7/7/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

For me it is another piece of the puzzle but I do not know what will come out form the puzzle.

In my ideal world I would simplify web2py and move more stuff to the client.

w3 was an approach from the client side.

this is an approach on the server side.

My short term goal is to come out with a reduce version of web2py (faster, leaner core, less contrib packages, no forms and grid server side) and have forms and grid customizable in html and talking through an API.

My longer term goal is be able to have a single api and point and build the app as a finite state machine where the state sets api policies. Each node of the machine contains widgets and each widget has its own template. But small steps.

Massimo

Richard Vézina

Jul 8, 2016, 9:17:11 AM7/8/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
So, DALAPI is kind of the "glue" or communication protocole between w3 (front end) and DAL (backend) to move data from server to client in a structured way...

I understand where you want to go... I think it would be kind of difficult to achieve that and keep web2py features as they are actually.

Thanks

Richard