web2py github tags

Niphlod

May 1, 2016, 1:42:08 PM5/1/16
to web2py-developers
"latest" I get .... "retry" not so much... what's the reasoning behind them ?

Niphlod

May 5, 2016, 4:35:13 PM5/5/16
to web2py-developers, Massimo Di Pierro, Giovanni Barillari
bump

Also, gi0baro, would it make sense to tag the latest stable pydal release as "latest" and use it as a reference for web2py's submodule ?
Would it short-circuit what happens by mistake updating the module ?

Giovanni Barillari

May 5, 2016, 5:25:09 PM5/5/16
to web2py-developers
Didn't follow whatever happened on web2py repo, generally the purpose of tags is to stop something in time. So I don't get the point of using a tag for "latest". This is the purpose of a master branch.

Anthony

May 5, 2016, 6:05:48 PM5/5/16
to web2py-developers
I think "latest" is supposed to mean latest stable release.

Giovanni Barillari

May 5, 2016, 6:10:42 PM5/5/16
to web2py-developers
Yes but it's pointless. Once you set a tag you can't change it. You should delete it and re-create it in a different point of your repo tree. It won't make any sense. Also because if you delete a tag and I have write permission the next time I will push something, the tag will be recreated in the same point it was. This is git, tag are not supposed to be changed in time.

Anthony

May 5, 2016, 8:02:06 PM5/5/16
to web2py-developers
Got it. Anyway, if we're using Github releases, we should be able to get the latest via:

https://github.com/web2py/web2py/releases/latest

Anthony

Niphlod

May 6, 2016, 2:47:45 AM5/6/16
to web2py-developers
ahem. git tags can be moved around pretty easily... they are pointers to commits after all.
I was just trying to have something like "i_know_this_is_it" tag moving from stable to stable release pointing to the last one only

Giovanni Barillari

May 6, 2016, 6:56:51 AM5/6/16
to web2py-developers
Yes but you actually can't edit them, you just overwrite it with a new one. Anyway, I think a release branch would better suit the need. Look at the weppy repo: whenever I do a release I merge the master on the release one and tag that point with the version. But it's actually the branch that is always the latest release.

Niphlod

May 6, 2016, 9:22:26 AM5/6/16
to web2py-developers
uhm. and the latest commit on a branch can be tracked as a pointer in the submodule ?

Dave S

May 6, 2016, 1:47:14 PM5/6/16
to web2py-developers
'tip' or 'head', maybe?

(I speak the other dvcs dialect, so I'm not fluent in git ... I'm just offering a guess)

/dps

Giovanni Barillari

May 7, 2016, 7:06:05 AM5/7/16
to web2py-developers
you can track whatever you want in a submodule, because at the end it always track a single commit.
So if the wanted behaviour is the submodule to automatically change the tracked commit, this is not possible. We will always change the track manually.

/Giovanni

Niphlod

May 9, 2016, 3:45:29 AM5/9/16
to web2py-developers
Okay, bad idea on my side.

Massimo DiPierro

May 9, 2016, 8:27:32 AM5/9/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I like Simone's idea.

Giovanni Barillari

May 9, 2016, 8:43:03 AM5/9/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

Yes but is not possibile :)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "web2py-developers" group.

Niphlod

May 9, 2016, 9:00:05 AM5/9/16
to web2py-developers
yet another reason to push for pypi package available.............

Giovanni Barillari

May 9, 2016, 5:42:48 PM5/9/16
to web2py-developers
Touché :)