kill me now before it is too late

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 19, 2016, 5:04:29 AM3/19/16
to web2py-developers
I deleted lots of files

object now before the deletion goes into stable. Also if you know of other scripts that do not work and should deleted speak now.

Massimo

Niphlod

Mar 21, 2016, 10:39:52 AM3/21/16
to web2py-developers
I'm all for deletion but I fail to comprehend the logic applied....

Accepting a PR 11 days ago and then deleting the file that was merged  --> lang_update_from_langfile.py

Also, IMHO to keep
nginx_scgi
parse_top_level_domains.py (unless you want to update it manually) which has the same "operational feature" of contentparser.py
zip_static_files which in addition to being documented has a proper section on the book

Also, why keeping all the other cruft in there ? do we really need

dict_diff
fix_ws
rmorphans
all setups that are not nginx+uwsgi or windows

?

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 21, 2016, 11:30:34 AM3/21/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
OK I will restore those files that you want but I disagree on deleting everything which is not nginx+uwsgi.

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 21, 2016, 11:45:57 AM3/21/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Done. If there are specific files that you know do not work, let me know and I will delete them.

Niphlod

Mar 21, 2016, 3:06:21 PM3/21/16
to web2py-developers
I was just trying to figure out the "pattern".
To me anything undocumented and untested should be deleted and/or moved to a directory with a clear README that says that nobody can vouch for them anymore. As for the setup scripts, if anybody has time to spend all that it takes is spinning up a clean VM with the latest release of the OS it targets (the last LTS is available), run the script and see if it's still working: if they're not, why should we keep them ?

webm...@trytha.com

Mar 21, 2016, 5:59:35 PM3/21/16
to web2py-developers
I tried several last week and didn't find any that actually 100% worked right out of the box.  NGINX had several small issues, as I recall.  The Apache2 one was also very close to perfect, though I had to fiddle with the default.conf a bit.  That one also tries to install python2.5-psycopg2, which is dead.  And it installs Mercurial for no apparent reason.  Not to mention that it does a wget from web2py_src.zip off of web2py.com, which has a different version of pydal than the git repository.

These scripts could be improved drastically by commenting out all but the absolute minimum required for installation.  Let the user choose what they want to add.

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 21, 2016, 6:28:02 PM3/21/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
The .py files are there because I use them. Except those that you asked me not to delete.

The .sh files were contributed by users so at some point, on some os version, they worked. Somebody found them useful. perhaps they do not work any more on some newer os version but they can be useful as a starting point.

Massimo

Niphlod

Mar 22, 2016, 5:19:14 AM3/22/16
to web2py-developers
so why don't we just tag them as "they're useful as starting point" ?
Massimo

Richard Vézina

Mar 22, 2016, 3:03:05 PM3/22/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I may update nginx redmine script for the next Ubuntu LTS, but I don't care you delete it. I may publish it as a standalone on github... Though I remember having craft a couple of feature in this script mainly make sure you don't have to enter password all over the installation process... Maybe this feature may be backported into main nginx ubuntu web2py deployment script, if not already the case...

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 22, 2016, 4:57:38 PM3/22/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I removed it because I did not think anybody was using it. If you think other people are using it and if you update it, we can put it back.

Richard Vézina

Mar 22, 2016, 5:02:30 PM3/22/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
No don't put it back... Let get lean...