_next security flaw?

PN

Jul 1, 2015, 5:08:00 PM7/1/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
The _next variable allows redirecting the user to an arbitrary URI, exposing a potential security flaw. One of my company's web2py apps was tagged as having this issue in a routine 3rd party scan. I am fixing this for the web2y we use by creating a whitelist feature, is this something I should contribute back? Not sure if this is a design philosophy difference or an oversight.

Massimo DiPierro

Jul 1, 2015, 5:16:08 PM7/1/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Actually no. In recent version of web2py (for about 1 year) the _next parameter is validated and does not allow redirect to arbitrary URLs.
Specifically we have these defults:

        auth.settings.prevent_open_redirect_attacks=True,
        auth.settings.prevent_password_reset_attacks=True,

Anyway, if we missed some corner case, please let us know, privately (massimo....@gmail.com)

Massimo

On Jul 1, 2015, at 4:08 PM, PN <pal...@fielddiagnostics.com> wrote:

The _next variable allows redirecting the user to an arbitrary URI, exposing a potential security flaw. One of my company's web2py apps was tagged as having this issue in a routine 3rd party scan. I am fixing this for the web2y we use by creating a whitelist feature, is this something I should contribute back? Not sure if this is a design philosophy difference or an oversight.

PN

Jul 1, 2015, 7:01:28 PM7/1/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Emailed privately with Massimo. Pull request submitted.

Massimo DiPierro

Jul 2, 2015, 8:02:06 AM7/2/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much! Nice clean fix.