Drop python 2.6

Leonel Câmara

Mar 18, 2016, 3:45:30 PM3/18/16
to web2py-developers
Can we please drop it? Even GAE is using python 2.7 nowadays.

I got the idea that, since I'm making tests, after having a good enough coverage on a module I could then make sure the tests also pass on Python 3, but frankly it's too painful to support both python 2.6 and python 3, especially because I don't even have Python 2.6 installed.

This could be a way for us to slowly move towards supporting python 3.

Paolo Valleri

Mar 18, 2016, 6:35:50 PM3/18/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

+1if it makes web2py closer to py3

Massimo DiPierro

Mar 18, 2016, 7:19:53 PM3/18/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
yes. we should drop python 2.6 support. But not in the next release. In the one after.

Massimo

Nico Zanferrari

Mar 19, 2016, 5:54:54 AM3/19/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I'm not a developer, but I like a lot this decision. Since testing, supporting Python 3.0  and cleanup are top priorities it goes in the right direction!
For the sake of clarity, you could label next version as 2.6.x - where only security patches will be officially backported. And then let's start working on 2.7 !

LightDot

Mar 22, 2016, 10:06:13 PM3/22/16
to web2py-developers
The bluntly honest "especially because I don't even have Python 2.6 installed" remark really made me laugh, in a good way. I'm sooo tempted to come up with a sarcastic remark or two about the enterprise aspects of web2py...

Once this move is decided, I suggest posting it prominently on the user's list well in advance.

There are some of us who... well, let's put it this way, RHEL/CentOS/SL 6 just won't die. Anyway, I'll push things to RHEL 7 or 8 eventually, in the mean time, we'll make do. It's not such a big issue really, if anything big pops up, we'll backport. So, having form.py, web3py and whatnot in mind, +1 from me.

Regards