comments?

Massimo DiPierro

Apr 9, 2015, 12:32:15 AM4/9/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/web2py/web2py/pull/907

what do you think about making appadmin.html depending on bootstrap?
so far it has been style independent with inline style (which means it is almost always broken).

Massimo

Niphlod

Apr 9, 2015, 2:15:00 AM4/9/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
it would be better to say that until recently it hasn't been an issue.
once again we're back at the question: is appadmin.py (and web2py.js, etc etc etc) part of:
a. web2py
b. the admin app on web2py
c. the app

clearly, c is not an option (not anymore, at least). when someone upgrades web2py, it's usually required to update appadmin.py too
b would be my best solution: if appadmin fetches styles NOT from the current app, but from the current admin, it should be safe to play with when updating . The only "con" is that if you don't have the admin app, you won't see "nice" appadmin. In production I usually remove admin and every appadmin, and I think that people careful enough to remove admin would also remove appadmin so.... it'd be really not a con.

Massimo DiPierro

Apr 9, 2015, 8:59:27 AM4/9/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com

So would you take the pr or not?

Niphlod

Apr 9, 2015, 2:38:15 PM4/9/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
nope. right now it's "inferring" layout from the app, not from admin.

Anthony

Apr 9, 2015, 9:23:33 PM4/9/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I agree. I don't think we can have appadmin depend on the app being based on Bootstrap. I think the original idea was for appadmin to retain the styling of the app itself, so it appeared as part of the app. However, it may be untenable to create an appadmin that looks good regardless of the app's layout/frontend framework, so it may be better to either make it part of admin, or give it it's own dedicated layout/CSS (which could be based on Welcome/Bootstrap).

Anthony