2.9.12 problem

Massimo DiPierro

Jan 16, 2015, 2:35:14 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Two things are holding 2.9.12 hostage:

The most serious problem is that if you start web2py with

python web2py.py

The tk widget freezes (it very very slow). I can reproduce on OS from source but only with Python 2.7, not 2.6. People have seen it on windows binary too. Any idea? This is critical!

Some people have reported a concurrency problem in updating languages (findT function) on freeBSD. I suspect locking is failing on freeBSD.

Massimo

Massimo Di Pierro

Jan 16, 2015, 2:39:18 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
Update. The TK widget is slow on Python 2.7 Anaconda 64 bits. It is fine with normal Python 2.7 32 bits.

Can people confirm or deny the existence of the problem in the windows binary?

Niphlod

Jan 16, 2015, 2:40:06 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
as already anticipated, nothing is wrong with the windows binary.

Massimo DiPierro

Jan 16, 2015, 2:41:01 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
So the problem is Anaconda.

Niphlod

Jan 16, 2015, 2:47:30 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
given that we hardly touch the tk part of widget.py (fortunately we're not in windowed-based framework business), it would be my first bet.
You can always compare with, e.g., web2py 2.6.4 source to see  if slowness is due to some web2py-specific shortcomings in code.
To be fair, I'd like to see tk as far away as possible from main.py and I explicitely remove it from my environments alltogether, but that's just a personal opinion.

Massimo DiPierro

Jan 16, 2015, 2:48:48 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I can tell you python 2.6 is fine 2.7-32 is fine, 2.7-64(anaconda) is slow and crashes. Not sure if it is anacoda or the 64 bits.

Niphlod

Jan 16, 2015, 2:51:53 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
fast-googling around ... http://bugs.python.org/issue19373

Massimo DiPierro

Jan 16, 2015, 2:56:31 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
http://bugs.python.org/issue19373 ?
I installed the ActiveTCL code as suggested but no improvement. I guess we can ignore this for now and push 2.9.12. I will do it later tonight.

massimo

Richard Vézina

Jan 16, 2015, 3:27:32 PM1/16/15
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
I seem to have the slowing with ubuntu 12.04 python 2.7.3, didn't test until a crash, so can't tell about that... But it was slow.

Starting web2py like so : python web2py.py -a 'pwd' -i 127.0.0.1 -p 8000 appname

As Massimo stated seems to prevent the slowing issue.

Richard