setup scripts and Let's Encrypt

Dave S

Sep 6, 2017, 8:17:31 PM9/6/17
to web2py-developers
Looking at the centos7 setup script, I see it generates a self-signed certificate.  For many machines, that will be more than adequate, but a public-facing machine should probably expect a "real" certificate, which will be Let's Encrypt for many of us, and I'm thinking the setup scripts should accommodate that.

Should the script ask if there's a certificate and then ask for a path, or should it check some well-known locations for evidence of certificates?

I'm not promising a quick turn-around, of course, but sometimes I get stuff done.  Watch for a blue moon.

/dps

Massimo DiPierro

Sep 6, 2017, 8:18:31 PM9/6/17
to web2py-developers
This would be great.

Massimo DiPierro

Sep 6, 2017, 8:30:26 PM9/6/17
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
on second thought… could this be a python module that returns the certificate?

Dave S

Sep 6, 2017, 8:50:49 PM9/6/17
to web2py-developers

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:30:26 PM UTC-7, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
on second thought… could this be a python module that returns the certificate?

That seems like a thought worth exploring.

/dps

Dave S

Sep 26, 2017, 9:33:42 PM9/26/17
to web2py-developers

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:50:49 PM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:30:26 PM UTC-7, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
on second thought… could this be a python module that returns the certificate?

That seems like a thought worth exploring.

I haven't forgotten this.  Still doing some experiments by hand.

/dps

Dave S

Jan 22, 2018, 9:27:43 PM1/22/18
to web2py-developers

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 6:33:42 PM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:50:49 PM UTC-7, Dave S wrote:

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 5:30:26 PM UTC-7, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
on second thought… could this be a python module that returns the certificate?

That seems like a thought worth exploring.

I haven't forgotten this.  Still doing some experiments by hand.

I think it's simple enough to look for a Let's Encrypt cert, and to look for a self-signed cert in the place the current install scripts put it, but there doesn't seem to be a convenient way to create a self-signed certificate, since the ssl module expects that to be done with command line tools outside of Python.  I could use popen2, but that seems a little messy.  Maybe I'm unreasonably bothered by the additional prompts; they really just require more writing to the subprocess's stdin, right?