Re: web2py pep440 version

Massimo DiPierro

Sep 19, 2016, 3:57:14 PM9/19/16
to niphlod, web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
No strong opinion but I am ok with this with one caveat.

Internally we use a version that starts with an ISO datetime. That is important for sorting and it is used in determining upgrades. We should not break the admin upgrade logic.

massimo

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 2:34 PM, niphlod <nip...@gmail.com> wrote:
no news ?

As proposed here https://groups.google.com/d/msg/web2py-developers/4G2VVGVZOJg/FcJuXr_OCQAJ I'd start (from the next release) to use a semantic versioning that is also compliant with pep440 (another step towards packaging web2py to pypi). You agreed, too (in case you forgot :P)

I thought about it for a bit and originally started to code yet another fallback for parse_version in gluon.fileutils.... but then thought harder and rewrote everything in one single piece.
Which I think is both readable and translates "human" versioning well. It could very well be the last parse_version we'll ever need.

Of course, it doesn't check STRICTLY that the version is pep440 compliant, but we just need it in web2py to detect a new version......You will be the one to check a new version is pep440 compliant when touching the VERSION file.

What do you think about this ?

Dave S

Sep 19, 2016, 5:14:45 PM9/19/16
to web2py-developers, nip...@gmail.com

On Monday, September 19, 2016 at 12:57:14 PM UTC-7, Massimo Di Pierro wrote:
No strong opinion but I am ok with this with one caveat.

Internally we use a version that starts with an ISO datetime. That is important for sorting and it is used in determining upgrades. We should not break the admin upgrade logic.

massimo

Does this clause of PEP440 help?

Some projects may choose to use a version scheme which requires translation in order to comply with the public version scheme defined in this PEP. In such cases, the project specific version can be stored in the metadata while the translated public version is published in the version field.

This allows automated distribution tools to provide consistently correct ordering of published releases, while still allowing developers to use the internal versioning scheme they prefer for their projects.

/dps

Niphlod

Sep 19, 2016, 5:40:23 PM9/19/16
to web2py-developers
this has slipped in from a private conversation between me and massimo.

long story short: no, we ALREADY don't use anything like datetime since practically forever. And we change version only for tagged releases.

From the next release we'll adopt full pep 440 compliance, with a slightly different routine to check for new releases (that, for what web2py needs, seals the deal). Previous web2py will still use x.y.z precedence, so they'll be "signalled" a new version is ready in admin (if anybody still uses it in production). We'll follow the outlined scheme

    2.14.4
    2.14.5
    2.14.6
    2.14.7rc1 (please test it)
    2.14.7rc2 (please test it, round #2)
    2.14.7
    2.14.8
    2.14.9rc1.dev1 (nightly)
    2.14.9rc1.dev2 (nightly, round #2)
    2.14.9rc1 (please test it)
    2.14.9
    2.14.10
    2.15.1

Looking to future packages on pypi, we'll release anyway only stable releases, so there's really no need to further separate concepts.

Paolo Valleri

Sep 20, 2016, 12:42:11 PM9/20/16
to web2py-d...@googlegroups.com
If admin is the problem, an approach can be to distribute official newer version using pep440 version, and in parallel in background maintaining the old approach to let people (running the old admin) upgrading web2py.
Maintaining the old version approach is either a rewrite rule on the server, or simply a link to the actual build.
Does it work?

 Paolo